3 months down and still lovin it.


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
November 28th 2008
Published: November 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all so its been just over 3 months since I left England you better all be missing me! I am currently in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia, sadly we didn’t need an escort through northern Kenya which was a shame, although once we arrived here we was speaking to another truck who actually had to have a convoy the week before because sum1 was shot a few weeks before that. It worked out the shooting was around where we had bushcamped aswell which is pretty cool.

So had a couple of nights at the foot of mount Kenya which was nice the campsite was beautiful and I upgraded to my own cottage which had a 4 poster bed and its own log fire not bad for about $10, definitely one of the best places I have stayed the whole trip they even had a pervert rooster who lived in the ladies toilets. (I now no wat to come back as if reincarnated.) Also done a walk to a trout farm while we was there unfortunately we cudn see any trout the water was to muddy, but did see a fish eagle and a chameleon and the walk was nice anyway.

So we then had 5days of bushcamping and into Ethiopia which is actually a really lush green country, who said this place has famines and droughts? all we see is grass and trees, stayed just outside a little village one nite which was cool as the head of the village let us walk around, felt sorry for the babies covered in flies but the kids were really friendly, Taryn gave them some balloons and they loved them, was funny when a balloon popped though they jumped and their poor faces dropped. Plus they found farting very amusing, its like being at home with the lads.

So been in Addis now waiting for visas which have taken a few days but the food is soooo cheap here, went to one place and the pictures of there food was actually MacDonald’s pictures, but a double cheese burger chips and a drink cost $3, bargain. Although never eat Qua fir fir it’s a traditional Ethiopian dish and it tastes and looks like carpet underlay, not very nice. Went to the museum here which was ok saw the bones of a link between man and monkey and went to a cathedral with a little museum in, but that’s about all you have here. It is cool walking around though one minute ur walkin past a high rised decent looking building the next ur walkin past tin shacks, the poverty line is definitely very black and white in this city. No pun intended.

So anyway hopefully Andi and grant will have our visas done 2day and we are off North through Ethiopia were we now leave behind the safaris and enter into the ancient world ruins which are hopefully gonna be spectacular as we go north through here sudan and finally Egypt.

So hopefully be able to do pictures at some point but the African internet isn’t the best, so maybe in Egypt it mite be better.
Anyway hope everyone is well in the Christmas preparations and all that rubbish heard there has been snow about, and once again im in my shorts and t-shirt everyday. So gutted.

Oh and just to rub it in this time next month im in Thailand. Hahahahaha


Advertisement



30th November 2008

Missing you
Hi James, glad you got through safely that was a relief, we are all fine, summers 7 months, trying to crawl now such a good baby.(MISSING HER UNCLE) Love reading your diary sounds great. but you should come home when trips finish and do some baby sitting ha ha. Hope Thailand will be ok still trouble there at the moment gemma keeps an update on it. keep texting and phone me soon. missing you loadsxxxxxxx
3rd December 2008

Thailand.....
Oooh, don't jinx it...there still aren't any flights going in you bozo....now you've gone and done it, hahaha! Just to warn you, Bangkok might turn a bit dodgy depending on what happens with the new government etc, so you may want to bypass it. But the protesters are out of the airport and flights taking people home resume on Friday, but only Sydney and Rome have been mentioned.....9 days....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!!!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb