Nairobi National Park, Sheldrick Trust, Kibera


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
November 4th 2007
Published: November 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

One thing I forgot to mention on our first day was meeting Stephen Okwaro, a teacher from the Boston Children's Centre in Kayole (pronounced Kayolee). Kayole is a slum located near the airport that we intend to visit on our way to Nakuru on Monday. During our visit, Manchester United was playing a match on TV and every bar in town was packed and roaring so loud we could barely hear a thing. Though we hear Manchester United lost, the party continued all night, especially at the dicso right net to our hotel. Luckily, we were so jet-lagged we made it until about 7:30 before passing out and only woke intermittently throughout the rest of the night.
Today started out with a short tour of Nairobi, thanks to Alias, our Planet Safari guide. While our hotel is not in the most touristy area, we quickly realized the stark contracts betwen the different zones of the city.
Alias explained that once you reach a certain part of Kenyatta Avenue (one of the main streets in Nairobi), the street splits into two sides designating the difference between the business people and the locals. He explained there are 4 million in Nairobi, but 2 million who live in the slums, the largest being known as Kibera. On the way to Kibera, we passed a large golf courses. Todd asked if Alias ever played golf, and he quickly responded "no, that's for rich people."
Kibera is the largest slum in Africa, with as many as four million living there in houses made from mud and iron sheets. There is no fresh water, no plumbing or electricity, and the air was so thick with pollution you could taste it. Less than a mile from Kibera exists the areas where the rich people live. We asked about the cost of rent for an apartment in Nairobi, and he said a safe apartment for the wealthy costs around 40,000 shillings a month, or about $700. Alias said people who are new to city live in Kibera until they are lucky enough to get a job and get out. Some never get out.
Later, we made our way to the Sheldrick Trust, a wildlife rehabilitation center that cares for orphaned elephants and rhinos. Each orphaned elephant is given a handler who spends 24 hours a day and up to 8 years caring for them until they can be released into Tsavo National Park. The trust is just inside the Nairobi National Park Border.
Once we ventured further into the park, we saw zebras, impalas, gazelles, caribou, turtles, alligators, and giraffes. The park was massive and we spent much of the day looking for lions, but it just wasn't our day to see them.







Advertisement



13th November 2007

Your trip sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear all about it and see more photos!! Safe travels home.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb