Safari Tour - West Africa 2008 - We're in Africa!


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Greater Accra » Accra
November 2nd 2008
Published: October 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Accra, Ghana


Oh Yeah we ARE!! After a gruelling flight (although made somewhat pleasant by the service on Lufthansa) we arrive in Accra around 7pm, slightly later than our scheduled arrival. No major incidences to report other than there was a huge bug on my seat in Calgary which Barry decided he would brush right on to me and I had a freak episode) No problems getting the bikes or going through immigration. Although an ominous experience when the two young lads taking our bikes off the plane requested a tip... (more on that)

Leaving the airport made us really thankful that we had made reservations. We had someone from the hotel meet us at the airport and good thing for it was utter chaos! There are literally THOUSANDS of cab drivers here in Accra... All vying for your business and tips (everyone tries to help you and expects a tip in return). So there were people from everywhere trying to carry our things for us as we had to keep a tight grip on our things. After some haggling to get a van, we finally get all our stuff safely in the van, pay off a few tip seekers (Just to get rid of them - they are now freaking annoying...)

We get to the hotel and at first glance, the place is OK - not $100 OK but it will do - as we later find out, hotels are not exactly high value here in Ghana. So we check in and get settled, only to find out that there is a problem with the water pressure and there is essentially no running water... Uugggh! Over 24 hours in transit and I can't even take a shower! They brought us buckets of water and essentially we had to sponge bathe... Nice. So first thing on Sunday we search for a different hotel. We check out a few places - again, hotels are really pricy for what you get... Kind of a surprise.. But nonetheless we have to find a place to stay. We are staying in the trendy suburb of Osu so perhaps that has something to do with it. Anyway we finally find a newer hotel a few blocks away and it has running water!! Never mind wireless Internet for my itouch!! So we're set up here for a few days. First impressions of Ghana? Hot, humid; kind of disappointed at the amount of individuals that see us as a walking ATM and the sense of entitlement with that. Hopefully away from the touristy area that will change. Today we are still getting our bearings-I’m still jet lagged so I slept most of the afternoon after we had lunch and ice cream. Barry in true form went out last night and again in the afternoon while I caught up on sleep. Tomorrow we plan on hitting central Accra... Ciao!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb