Side trip to Ambo and Wenchi Crater Lake


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia
January 16th 2010
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 8.88507, 37.8479

I'll try this again, my last version is lost in cyber space?

I left Addis on the morning of 1/15 for a 2 day trip to Ambo and the Wenchi Crater Lake.
Making my way to the main bus station, I found the correct mini bus for the 125 KM trip west. The mini-buses in Ethiopia legally seat 14, including a driver and the young man who handles the money. The fare to Ambo is 24 birr/ passenger. The gross is $25US, how does anyone make any money? The cost of diesel fuel in Ethiopia is more than in the USA!

We quickly leave the city, and the transition to the countryside is swift, and welcomed. The noxious odor of diesel fumes is replaced by the scent of eucalyptus trees. About 25 km from Addis, we pass dozens of huge industrial agricultural sites. My guess is the produce grown here is sent to Addis, or Sudan?

We almost have a very unfortunate incident. Hundreds of people are walking along the berm of the road. Workers and students starting their day. Suddenly, a woman carrying a 4 meter long pole turns, the end of the pole points towards our windshield. The driver is unable to veer to the left, oncoming traffic prevents such a maneveur. Everyone in the van prepares for the worst, but we miss the pole by a few inches, and there are sighs of relief. This would certainly have been fatal for the young woman.

After checking in to the hotel, the manger has the afternoon off, and so he is my guide to Guder Falls. It's a pleasant afternoon. He is happy with his 50 birr tip.

The next morning I'm off to Wenchi Crater Lake. I have an official guide, Tadesse Hailu, listed in the Lonely Planet Guide. There is no scheduled public transportation, so I'm to share a private mini bus with a few Belgium's. Problem is they do not show up so I decide to go anyway, the charge is $44. Oh well.
Turns out to be a good day at the village at Wenchi Crater, if you're a tourist.
The father of the favorite local politician has died, and group after group of local horseman from the surrounding communites of 4,000 people come to pay their respects. They are dressed in their finest clothes,chanting, and carrying and sometimes firing their rifles into the air. It's quite an experience. I don't dare take any photo's!

When we return to Ambo in the afternoon we stop to pick up passengers. Also stock up on firewood, 5 birr per bundlle in the countryside instead of 8 birr in Ambo. What a deal!

As it will turn out, it does not make any difference in not having had a chance to take photos at the ceremony.....

Advertisement



17th January 2010

joker :)

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb