Cairo Traffic


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt
December 18th 2009
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 30.05, 31.25

We headed out to complete the last 380km's towards Cairo, an early start would mean we would get to Cairo early enough to find the camp site.. Luckily we did start early a 6 lane highway lead us into the most chaotic place we had encountered thus far in Africa. oops missed that exit meant a 10km loop into central Cairo.. shit man these crazy buggers street attack you from all directions. They were not even intimidated by a long blast from the air horns right in their window...

Twice arround the block saw us finding the camp site.. and luckily it is nice..

One can see the Pyramids from the 6 lane highway and man they look massive.. even after the 2nd time around they still caught my attention, the bad thing was i needed to take my eye's away from the road and this was a bad thing.

Dave lost his last mirror, the welding repair he had in Ethiopia gave up the ghost and it slid under the Shorty and into the crazy traffic behind.. This made the trip a bit more exiting as Dave was using his GPS and Tracks for Africa to navigate us to the camp site, with no rear mirrors he could not see if we were following.. It was crazy. The good side was Dave could not see the crazy drivers behind.. sometimes it is best not to know what they are trying to do.

Trying to sort a new Libyan fixer as the one we were corresponding with has dropped of the face of the earth. We need to transit Libya fast to get to the ferry, 4 days should see us to Tunisia and we need a fixer to sort the crazy systems yet to be experienced.

North of Kenya has been hard going the distances are large and the formalities arduous . Just to get into Egypt from Sudan took a total of 5 days. The schedule has taken nearly a 4 week hit so we will be glad to get to Europe to see this adventure out.

Off to the Pyramids tomorrow.. Wow should be great..


Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb