Western Egyptian Desert -- Scenes from Another Planet


Advertisement
Africa » Egypt » Western Desert » Baharia
February 20th 2016
Published: February 23rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

It was “Dawn Patrol” time again. Many travelers are aware of the scenario: up sinfully early and ready to go before the sun thinks about rising. It was our turn. We had many miles to travel this day and required all the sunlight possible if we were to see what the area had to offer. We were heading 600 km (350 miles) from Cairo into the desert. We were met by Mohamed and Gamel, tossed our ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Deserted beautyDeserted beauty
Deserted beauty

Almost another planet
Desert CampingDesert Camping
Desert Camping

might be too old for this
Climbing for crystalsClimbing for crystals
Climbing for crystals

Simply amazing!
Tired BrendanTired Brendan
Tired Brendan

maybe jet lagged
Brutus at SunriseBrutus at Sunrise
Brutus at Sunrise

White Desert
YasserYasser
Yasser

Excellent driver
Cooking chickenCooking chicken
Cooking chicken

Desert dining
Brendan & MohamedBrendan & Mohamed
Brendan & Mohamed

Climbing for a view



23rd February 2016

Very Interesting!
As usual, your photos are outstanding. Never knew about the crystals. Very cool.
23rd February 2016

Interesting and crystals
We didn't know about the crystals either and can't figure out why the world doesn't know about this place. It was simply amazing. Thanks again for following and commenting. Enjoy Hawaii.
23rd February 2016
Yasser cooks dinner

Guide Luck!
You have had wonderful luck with guides in Egypt--it was so touching that Mohammed stayed with you to make sure you got on the right train. How cool that you pushed your comfort zone a bit, camped and got rewarded with fab food, a great sunrise and sweet company, you intrepid travelers. Desert photos are gorgeous!
24th February 2016
Yasser cooks dinner

Guide luck
Indeed we have been very fortunate. Mohamed is a wonderful man and very knowledgeable. Wish we had realized he provided tours to all of Egypt and not just the desert. I hope those who are coming to Egypt and read this blog will call him. They will not regret it. It has been a wonderful trip...and it continues.
24th February 2016
Dave, MJ & Brendan

I see...
Woolly sheep rock and short-beaked parrot rock :)
24th February 2016
Dave, MJ & Brendan

You see...
Good eye....thousands of formations....acres and acres. Amazing.
24th February 2016

What an adventure!
I love the sound of this trip into the desert. I've wanted to do this ever since I saw a program on the Bedouin camps in North Africa... but I'm not sure that I could survive more than one night with those 'limited' facilities :)
24th February 2016

An adventure
More details on surviving the adventure to come soon but that this the 1st time in 30+ years I'd gone without a shower for 3 days and I wouldn't want to do that again. It was well worth it. The colors and formations were fantastic.
24th February 2016

Envious
Yes I am envious ...all those amazing rocks ..... I would have loved it. Looks absolutely awesome and you were so well looked after. Sussex will be a bit tame after that when we meet up.
24th February 2016

Envious
Crystal Mountain was simply amazing. We didn't expect it to be so grand. Our guide was amazing and our heads have been filled with 3,000 years of history and great stories. See you soon.
24th February 2016

A must see
I agree that this is a must see. The sights, off road driving, camping, sleeping under the stars. The only thing to make it better is to share it with friends.
24th February 2016

A must see
So glad we are here with you. An amazing chapter in our travels. Many more to come certainly.
24th February 2016

Desert
Incredible pictures. I truly admire your adventurous spirits and your ability to research and find these awesome excursions!
24th February 2016

Desert
We can't take credit for finding this one. We are traveling with our friend Brendan and he uncovered a gem of a guide. Certainly a grand experience.
24th February 2016

Great choice!
You are right, it is like you are on a different planet! I love these kinds of trips to secluded places away from the crowds and to beautiful geographic zones. Great choice in location outside of Cairo!
24th February 2016

Great choice.
We've traveled a bit of the world and we embrace the big cities when we are there. Cairo really didn't do much for us and we were happy to move on. We are getting a good taste and plenty of variety here in Egypt.
24th February 2016

A tent with no ensuite???
I tend to back track when I hear or see the word "camping", but some of the best moments can be when you rough it, especially with good friends. The scenery looks incredible, very, very envious now, looking forward to Aswan.
24th February 2016

Tent camping
Roughing it is sometimes worth it. Mother nature was our friend. A great trip.
24th February 2016

Sounds Amazing!
I've thoroughly enjoyed your descriptions of these little (un)known places! And to hear that the country feels safe, and is in need of the tourism influx, you're inspired us to consider traveling there sooner then later!
24th February 2016

Amazing Egypt
We are nearing the end of our two weeks in Egypt and can honestly say we have felt safe the entire time. They do need the influx of tourism so hope you will come sooner than later. Mohamed will make your time here incredible. He has a wicked sense of humor. He and Yasser are a good pair.
24th February 2016
Serenity

Happiness
Beautiful photo and perfect caption :)
24th February 2016
Serenity

Happiness
We are so glad we came to Egypt. We have been putting it off but really no reason to at this point.
24th February 2016
Sand and shadows

The desert
There is something about deserts that draws one under it's spell. It is the silence, the harsh environment in so many ways...and the diversity brilliantly in your pics. Gotta love it!
25th February 2016
Sand and shadows

The desert
The serenity and the isolation of the desert present a fierce combination of joy and tranquility. Life out here permanently would be tough so we admire those who have picked this life. Thanks for following along.
24th February 2016

One of the Special Places
You are bringing back memories of our time there, although we possibly had a little less luxury. For me the desert was more inspiring than the pyramids. Enjoy.
25th February 2016

One of the special places
Our Cairo hotel did afford some luxury but since then they have been rather basic. The Egyptian desert is so very special. So thrilled you are following along. We have not heard from you in ages and hope you are doing well.
24th February 2016
A desert of white

Marvelous creation
Looks like the desert didn't disappoint. Also sounds like the Eygyptian guides were very hospitable & fun to be with. Hope you didn't tell too many family secrets :-)
25th February 2016
A desert of white

Marvelous creation
We have so many photos it is difficult to select the ones for the blog. Yes that one does look unique....sort of like meringue.
24th February 2016
Almost another planet

Another planet...
What an incredible place! ...and fantastic photography of course :)
25th February 2016
Almost another planet

Another planet
Thank you for following and commenting. It is an amazing place where it is difficult to take a bad photo. Hope you will spend some time here.
24th February 2016

Camping in the desert
Another wonderful adventure! Can't say I knew much about this part of the world to be honest so was quite amazed to see these incredible landscapes and to find out about the crystals! Camping in the desert? Wow! Doubt you will find any more remote camping site than this one... thanks for sharing :)
25th February 2016

Camping in the desert
Remote but worth the effort. Stunning beauty abounds in this isolated part of Egypt. The crystals were incredibly and surprising. We've never seen anything remotely like it. Hope you will call Mohamed and plan a trip. He is an expert.
25th February 2016

Wish I'd done that on my trip to Egypt, really cool guys! I hope rest of your time there is just as great! Safe travels!
25th February 2016

Hey Surfbird
Thanks for following along. You may need to come back and spend some time in this amazing desert. This has been our favorite location so far.
25th February 2016

I think your other traveling blogs are far more interesting But still enjoyed seeing this one. love Mildred
25th February 2016

Desert Blog
Hello Mildred, thank you for following along and sending a comment. We loved the desert and hopefully you will like the ones to follow.
28th February 2016
Dave & MJ

looking good!
the desert looks pretty. The camping experience should have been interesting. I guess you guys are having a good time in Egypt and elsewhere in the region.
28th February 2016
Dave & MJ

Looking Good
Hem, thanks for following along and commenting. Indeed we are having a good time. So much to see.

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.045s; cc: 20; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb