Abu Simbel and Phillae Temple


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt » Aswan
June 18th 2006
Published: June 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Me and Abu SimbelMe and Abu SimbelMe and Abu Simbel

Me in front of Abu Simbel
I awoke at 3:00am to get ready and be picked up by the driver of our mini bus that was going to take us to Abu Simbel. In order for tourists to go to Abu Simbel you have to travel in a police convoy. Now the idea of Convoy is lost by the Egyptians because as soon as the convoy starts all the buses, vans, and cars try to race to the front. Its a mad dash down the highway in the desert that takes you to Abu Simbel. So after a 2 1/2 hour drive our bus made it to Abu Simbel. Now before the Aswan High Dam was built Abu Simble was located lower down the mountain but UNESCO saved the temple from being flooded and moved to the temple to higher ground and built a man made mountain to hold the temple. After you walk to the temple you are great by four hugh statues of Ramses II. You enter the temple which has more hugh statues inside and all the walls are engraved with hieroglyphics. There is still alot of the original paint still inside. Abu Simbel was amazing site with also a smaller temple built for Nefertiti.

After visiting Abu Simbel our bus headed over to the site of the Phillae Temple which is located on an Island. This is an artificial island as this temple was also raised higher because of the Aswan High Dam. To enter you first buy your ticket but to get to the Island you have to take a boat. The boat is not part of your ticket and so you have to bargain for your boat ride. Our bus stayed together as a group and was able to bargain for 3 pounds each with a 1 hour stay on the island. The temple of Phillae was beautiful situated on an island on the lake. There temple was wonderfully built and you could take all the pictures you wanted there but you could not take pictures inside Abu Simbel.

So after seeing two great Egyptian places near Aswan, I am going to relax for the rest of the Night. Tomorrow our groups heads out for a two day and two night Felucca trip on the Nile. So its Bon Voyage for me and the next time I write I will be in Luxor. So I say Good Night and
Temple of PhillaeTemple of PhillaeTemple of Phillae

The Temple is located on a man made island.
Good Bye to Aswan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



18th June 2006

WOW!!
Those statues are awesome , do I see a resemblance. Ha Ha. So glad to follow your adventure can't wait to hear about your fellucca cruise. Take care as always, stay dry and safe, Love Mom

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0714s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb