Counting the days till kenya....


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Mediterranean » Alexandria
July 26th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Only 10 more days and I will officially be out of Egypt and on the soil of my second home - Kenya!
This week has been so frustrating in the country they like to call Egypt! I have to stop and think sometimes why I am even here.
The medical system is soooo backwards it doesnt even make logical sense...for example apparently even though we are a clinic and we are allowed to do surgery and treat animals we are not allowed to have any animals in clinic for more than a couple of days or we risk being shut down by the government division that monitors clinics...I think this might be the stupiest thing I have ever heard in my life. So basically if anything requires treatment for longer than 2 or 3 days we are sweet out of luck. Now this is not entirely the governments fault, but more so the chair person of the organizations fault! Because she choose a place for the clinic in which we are actually occupying the first floor of an apartment building, if the animals make too much noise then the government can come and see if we are keeping the animals in longer than a couple of days.
Providing medical treatment of the dogs and cats in the streets (i.e. ones without owners) seems almost useless! We treat an animal for something but simply leave it in the street, we dont take it and neuter it etc so its as if we are just putting a band aid on a huge leak in the hoover dam....eventually its going to fail. Then there is the work with the equines. It seems a little better but the owners of these animals for the most part dont give a crap about the animal until it is so sick it is unable to work. We had a horse with what we think was Strangles 3 days ago! The owner was suppose to bring the horse back everyday for treatment and for us to monitor its progress, but we have yet to see him again! .....oh wait....during my attempt to write this blog entry the man finally returned with his horse and we were able to treat it! Although this is good he came, the treatment has not been given in 2 days and its as though we are starting from sqaure one again!
I think I now know where the idea of bacterial resistance has come from. In school we are lectured about how to use antibiotics properly, but here it is almost impossible to use them properly if the owners are not working with you!
So overall it just seems so pointless at times to even try to fix things.
If it weren't for the nice people that I have met here I think I would have left a while ago. The organization is nice in theory but there are so many problems right now that need to be solved before they can truly start to help and make a difference!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb