Cairo: Crowds, The Pyramids and Chefs!


Advertisement
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
February 18th 2016
Published: February 19th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We left Alexandria after three days and made the journey south to Cairo. It was delightfully uneventful as we motored down the wide and not crowded toll road. That alone was different, as so far our brief experiences in Lebanon and Egypt were far too many cars and far too few roads to accommodate them. Part of the reason for the somewhat empty toll road was that there was a two-lane highway to our... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

View from the CitadelView from the Citadel
View from the Citadel

Hazy, but impressive.
Birthing ChairBirthing Chair
Birthing Chair

Egyptian Style. Yikes!
Turkish apertifsTurkish apertifs
Turkish apertifs

Chef's surprise, our pleasure to enjoy.
Going to MosqueGoing to Mosque
Going to Mosque

beautiful columns
Kissing the SphinxKissing the Sphinx
Kissing the Sphinx

Once in a lifetime opportunity.
Brutus and the SphinxBrutus and the Sphinx
Brutus and the Sphinx

Yep.....he was there.
Bomb sniffing dog at our hotelBomb sniffing dog at our hotel
Bomb sniffing dog at our hotel

Looks like a family pet.
Brendan at the MuseumBrendan at the Museum
Brendan at the Museum

Standing tall among the greats.
Come to EgyptCome to Egypt
Come to Egypt

Adventures await you
Dave & MJDave & MJ
Dave & MJ

A good life
More culinary delightsMore culinary delights
More culinary delights

The chef was on fire!
Marching soldiersMarching soldiers
Marching soldiers

In the Egyptian Museum.
Turkish filletTurkish fillet
Turkish fillet

With a fabulous sauce.
Brutus and the PyramidBrutus and the Pyramid
Brutus and the Pyramid

He's impressed!



19th February 2016
Brendan, MJ, Dave

Lovely photo of the four of you :)
22nd February 2016
Brendan, MJ, Dave

Lovely Photo
Thanks Ren for following along and commenting. We are having fun. Lots to see in the museum and yes a great photo of the 4 of us.
19th February 2016

Molly the sniffer doggie
I loved that Molly was asleep on the job! I know what you mean about the darker side of the fact that she was even needed, but I still love that story. Glad to hear that you've started off your adventures with BV Chef with a bang (sorry Molly, no pun intended!). Hope you connect with the rest of Egypt more than you did with Cairo. Safe travels.
22nd February 2016

Molly the sniffer dog
On our last day in Cairo we finally saw the 2nd dog. We were told they took 4 hour shifts but the 2 dogs looked so much a like we could not tell. The pyramids were fantastic but Cairo just a big busy city. More to come.
19th February 2016

Thanks for sharing
Wow. Awesome. Take always, the birthing chair, dental,tools and the pyramids. Funny how there is good dining the world over. Enjoy. Dennis
22nd February 2016

Sharing Cairo
Foodies can always track down great food. Some of the ancient tools are frightening. Thanks for following along and commenting.
19th February 2016

Catching your delight
Ah, the taste buds have done some celebratory jigs on this leg of your trip! And 2 funny guys!! How did your legs fair after the horse ride? Hope the desert supplies more content for your priceless memories!
22nd February 2016

Catching our delight
It was a short horse ride...so no injuries. It was fun. The scenery amazing. Thanks for following along and commenting.
19th February 2016

The History
It's just amazing to see the ancient history of this civilization. The pyramids always blow my mind.
22nd February 2016

The history
The ancient civilization is truly fascinating. They were a very productive society. And yes the pyramids are amazing.
19th February 2016

CAIRO
So fun to travel with you via the Internet. Glad things are going well. Loved the photo of the dog!
22nd February 2016

Cairo
Thanks for following along and commenting. I was surprised they let us take a photo of the dog. The police and military are a bit restrictive about photos. All is well.
20th February 2016
Photo bomb

The Wild Ones!
This promises to be a very fun trip with the guys photobombing and outdoing each other with silliness! I loved that giddy moment at your first peek at the pyramids and anticipating meeting your old friend, Brendan. He's the perfect accompaniment for fine dining. I did my one and only tasting menu with him, and I loved the way he really savored the food and chatted with the chef. Also, how wise that you braved the nay-sayers, went to Egypt and did the Lawrence of Arabia at the pyramids! Often, after political troubles, there's an increased police presence, and with fewer tourists, sites are less crowded and everyone is thrilled to see and cater to you. Excellent choice!
22nd February 2016
Photo bomb

The Wild Ones
We are enjoying the pyramids and having plenty of adventures. British and Chinese tourists are starting to return. Egypt has not had any trouble to speak of for 5 years so I do hope people will return. The pyramids are worth the effort. Brendan is an excellent travel partner. We are having great fun and enjoying the chefs and foods.
20th February 2016

Awesome pics!
Looks like you guys are having a great trip so far. Hopefully we get to meet up with you when you come to London.
22nd February 2016

Cairo pics
Glad you are enjoying the pictures. Thanks for following along. Looking forward to seeing you in London.
20th February 2016
The Three Amigos?

The Three Amigos
A photo for the ages, for the Travelblog album, for lifelong memories. Brought together for Travelblog...Brilliant!
22nd February 2016
The Three Amigos?

The Three Amigos
Brillant times and memories-- Brendan is a stitch. Keeps us laughing. Foodies on the loose. More to come.
21st February 2016

Great photos!
Fantastic photos - and some really stunning ones of the pyramids - well done. No matter how much you travel, nothing can quite prepare you for the awesomeness of those ancient wonders!
22nd February 2016

Great photos ancient wonders
Indeed you are correct-- the pyramids are stunning. They are even bigger than expected. Sometimes you just have to go take a look. Thanks for following along and commenting.
23rd February 2016

Hi there!
Awwww we should plan something together. Then there'd be 5 in a frame! Happy to see you enjoying Cairo together with B. I just realized I haven't been there in 20 years. No kidding. 1996 when I got there, very few guards & no sniffing dogs. Looking forward to seeing more photos and reading more blogs from y'all.
23rd February 2016

Hello my friend,
We would love to have you join us on a trip. It would be interesting to see what kind of changes you could tell us about over the past 20 years. Brendan is so easy to travel with. On to Jordan in a few days.
23rd February 2016

A dream...
You are living one of my travel dreams... for as far as I can remember I've wanted to go to Egypt, but somehow I've managed to avoid it... one day... one day... meanwhile, I'll just live my dream through your blogs :)
23rd February 2016

A dream....
We are having a great trip and the desert was amazingly special. A country full of history, ancient history and structures that are difficult to describe. Hopefully, you will visit sooner than later .....before it gets crowded again.
24th February 2016

It is such an incredible experience to see the pyramids, and the old museum is one of my favourite places in the world. Sounds like you guys are having the time of your life. Great blog and looking forward to the next one.
24th February 2016

Hello Shelley and Scott,
Good hearing from you and so happy you are following along. The museum is amazing and unimaginable how many artifacts they have on display. It would take months to see all of them.
29th February 2016

Jealous again!
Now I really want to see the Egyptian Museum. I also always worry when I go to these huge museums that lack proper facilities. Many of the artifacts that belong to the museum or the local people are on display in a place like London or New York - if the home museum can demonstrate proper care, then they should be returned, but if not, I say keep them preserved wherever they can by people who actually care about the pieces. Oh, and love love love the food dish descriptions!!!
29th February 2016

Jealous
The food was amazing. We love to absorb a culture via food and music. This trip has been exceptionally good at that. The new museum will be finished sooner than later and they will be properly stored. Expected completion 2018.

Tot: 0.623s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 53; qc: 180; dbt: 0.2903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb