Under the Cairo Sun


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
November 4th 2008
Published: November 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sarah, the Rainforest Cafe frog and meSarah, the Rainforest Cafe frog and meSarah, the Rainforest Cafe frog and me

On the way to Magic Galaxy we ran into this guy...
In this episode, Sarah and Kira and I had a weekend where we decided that the party scene here had quickly gotten old, so we found our own entertainment elsewhere. On Thursday night (Cairo's Friday) we went to the mall to investigate the rumor of an indoor roller coaster. What we found was this place called Magic Galaxy that had a few rides and various arcade games...and was super janky. The roller coaster took up the space of not more than a third of a football field, but it whipped you around these corners so that it was actually kind of intense. Part of the excitement was also, "Am I going to die right now on this janky roller coaster?" However, we survived.

Two days later we went to do homework in Al-Ahzar Park, which none of us had been, but is about a 5 minute cab ride from our hotel. They had separate entry prices for foreigners, so we paid 5 LE apiece to get in. I can see why they demand an entry fee though. Inside it was beautiful. There was so much green everywhere, and it was so clean. There was hardly any trash on the ground. There were fountains, flowers, a cafe, a mosque, and incredible views of the city. We spread out the sheet that we had taken from the hotel, after playing in the grass first, of course. At this point I'm almost used to being stared at by the Egyptians, and I figure I might as well give them a reason to, as well as amusing myself. I don't think they understand why the crazy Americans were running around and rolling down the hill. This is okay with me. However, Egyptians do weird things too. This big group of girls, along with a middle-aged woman and a little boy, came up the hill near us singing a song in Arabic about bananas. We smiled at them and they said hello and walked past. When they came back down, they asked if they could take a picture with us, and we of course obliged. When the time came for the call to prayer the sound was more haunting than usual because we were ringed all around with mosques, and the call carried across the smoggy air. At this point the setting sun was beginning to turn the clouds pink, meaning that we had to go, but not before making friends with this sweet girl named Noor and her little brother.

The next day at school we had a picnic on the one patch of grass that exists on all of campus. We brought the same sheet from the hotel, and laid it out. Sarah and Kira brought juice, pretzels and sandwiches, and Andy brought gross bananas that he squished in his bag and honey. Luke came later and brought cookies. After eating we played frisbee, and after they turned the sprinklers on, we still played frisbee. Luckily no one was wearing a white t-shirt.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Blog - 15Blog - 15
Blog - 15

This is us going around a turn
Blog - 16Blog - 16
Blog - 16

Turning again
The shooting rideThe shooting ride
The shooting ride

A haunted house where you're supposed to shoot the scary things. Our laser guns were broken, so we couldn't fend off the attack.
The park, with Islamic Cairo in the backgroundThe park, with Islamic Cairo in the background
The park, with Islamic Cairo in the background

See the pointy things? Those are mosques.
Playing with the color selector Playing with the color selector
Playing with the color selector

This is Sarah's camera. Mine doesn't do this.
Little BrotherLittle Brother
Little Brother

He didn't want to share his ball.


11th November 2008

Under the Cairo Sun
I think this is my favorite blog - mainly because of the the pictures - sooo fun to see you and your friends and the views of the city from the park are really wonderful - a completely different and beautiful perspective of the city.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb