Botswana


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
March 29th 2013
Published: March 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Botswana, one of the country's that overcame the natural resource curse. Many countries, whose economies depend primarily on natural recourses such as oil, diamonds, or timber, generally suffer from great poverty. The paradox of wealth in natural resources combined with crushing poverty is known as the natural resource curse. This curse occurs because the income from these resources is often misappropriated by corrupt leaders and officials instead of being used to support growth and development. This can lead to civil war and other conflicts.

Botswana is rich in many natural resources including diamonds, has experienced stable economic growth for several decades. How you many ask. Effective anti curppted laws and high civil engagement has also forced representatives to be more transparent about how they are spending and distributing the wealth of the country's natural resources. Botswana exported 2 billion dollars worth of diamonds, nickel, gold, and other resources in 2002. Botswana has seemingly avoided the effect of the resource curse, and provided quality public serves. Debswana Diamond Company, the Botswana branch of De Beers, is owned equally by De Beers and the government of Botswana. Debswana also invests in the community, building hospitals. Schools and recreational facilities for employees and local residents. This how Botswana overcame the natural resource curse, and poverty.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb