Days 7-10 Okavango Delta


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana
June 19th 2019
Published: June 19th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We’re back on the grid after three days in the Okavango Delta area at Rra Dinare.

The last three days have been unique and very reyas even when we started to worry about work, there was nothing we could do.

We got here by bush plane which was an experience by itself. Great planes and nice flight but landed in an airstrip in the middle of no where - elephants crossed the runway as we were deplaning. Our camp host met us at the airstrip in jeeps and we headed across the savanna to camp.

The camp here is actual high end tents complete with a toilet, dink’s and outdoor showers. They are very breezy and comfortable during the day this time of year - but we can only imagine how hot they would be in the summer.

The whole camp was elevated with walkways between the tents which were laid out as 4 to each side the common area in the middle. There was an animal crossing in both directions and we were instructed to stop, look and listen in both directions before crossing as the animals had right of way. Don had to wait for an elephant to cross right in front of him before continuing to the main area on one trip to charge the camera.

In camp, we’ve had cape bulls and elephants right outside our tent. From the common area and our balcony, the view is out over the savanna where we’ve seen dozens of elephants, impala, bush bucks, eagles, zebra and Cape buffalo criss to the water holes.

The daily schedule at the camp is the same everyday. At 6:00 am, they bring coffee to the tent. At 6:30, we meet for continental breakfast in the common area before heading out on the morning game drive at 7:00. The drives returned to camp for 11:00 with brunch at 11:30. The camp rests until high tea at 3:30 back in the common room. At 4:00, we headed out on the afternoon game drive. Return to camp was 7:00, by which it’s dark. Dinner in the common room at 7:30 with a campfire after dinner until about 9:00. Then we’re escorted back to our tents to sleep for the night.

Our first morning game drive was the most spectacular. The Okavango delta area has more wildlife in a concentrated area than the other places we’ve been so we’d see giraffes, elephants, impala, hornbills, kudus and other animals on every drive. We also saw a honey badger, jackels, leopards, lions, tseesse, kori bustards, ostrich and zebra - plus dozens of bird types on some of the drives.

All in all, it was a great few days but we’re glad to be back in the grid now.

More to come when we get to Cape Town.





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb