Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Geraldine
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Geraldine
Latest Blogs from Geraldine
- January 22nd 2012 New Zealand - Wk 2
by Words: 2673 Photos: 25
- October 19th 2011 Zee, bergen, meertjes, ...no camping sites
by Words: 881 Photos: 12
- February 8th 2011 Fortsaetter lige..
by Words: 557 Photos: 0
- November 27th 2010 Wet 'n' wild!
by Words: 271 Photos: 1
- March 18th 2010 New Zealand - Geraldine - White Water Rafting (Paddys Day)
by Words: 770 Photos: 0
- March 17th 2010 New Zealand - Goodbye Cougar crew.. Hello Geraldine!
by Words: 1112 Photos: 0
- January 27th 2010 Rangitata Rafting
by Words: 1268 Photos: 1
- December 20th 2009 Leaving Work for New Adventures
by Words: 146 Photos: 0
- March 30th 2009 The End Of The Cycling Era & Goodbye South Island!!
by Words: 1736 Photos: 12
- March 15th 2009 Day 48 Peel Forest/Rangitata River
by Words: 464 Photos: 18
- February 15th 2009 Saturday 14th & Sunday 15th February
by Words: 390 Photos: 5
- December 15th 2008 River Rescue Course on the Rangitata
by Words: 2106 Photos: 42