Background: The Polynesian Maori reached New Zealand in about A.D. 800. In 1840, their chieftains entered into a compact with Britain, the Treaty of Waitangi, in which they ceded sovereignty to Queen Victoria while retaining territorial rights. In that same year, the British began the first organized colonial settlement. A series of land wars between 1843 and 1872 ended with the defeat of the native peoples. The British colony of New Zealand became an independent dominion in 1907 and supported the UK militarily in both World Wars. New Zealand's full participation in a number of defense alliances lapsed by the 1980s. In recent years, the government has sought to address longstanding Maori grievances.
Photos from Kerikeri
Blogs from Kerikeri
Latest Blogs from Kerikeri
- May 21st 2013 Dave and Kathy off again for more Outback adventures
by Words: 36 Photos: 0
- April 2nd 2012 Keri Keri & de Kauri bomen
by Words: 440 Photos: 0
- January 24th 2012 Down under is great!
by Words: 930 Photos: 0
- December 16th 2011 Battered bluenose with a side of kumara fries
by Words: 258 Photos: 3
- December 15th 2011 After the storm...
by Words: 110 Photos: 3
- December 14th 2011 We made it ...
by Words: 165 Photos: 1
- March 15th 2011 We bought a campervan from Buyback campervans
by Words: 289 Photos: 0
- January 9th 2011 When does 90 = 60 ?
by Words: 801 Photos: 22
- January 7th 2011 Really In a Kiwi zone.
by Words: 802 Photos: 26
- December 2nd 2010 It’s all Picnics and Rainbows!
by Words: 503 Photos: 0
- November 11th 2010 Day 1 Kawakawa to Kerikeri
by Words: 530 Photos: 1
- November 1st 2010 Very Merry in Kerikeri
by Words: 2954 Photos: 42
- April 29th 2010 and so it begins....
by Words: 114 Photos: 0
- February 22nd 2010 Keri Keri 01/12/09 - 08/02/10
by Words: 1998 Photos: 38
- February 9th 2010 Off to the beach and Bay of Islands
by Words: 554 Photos: 6
- January 31st 2010 Kerikeri Organic!
by Words: 515 Photos: 35
- December 10th 2009 Test run
by Words: 12 Photos: 1
- September 19th 2009 Paihia, KeriKeri and the planned assault on Cape Reinga
by Words: 1298 Photos: 0
- April 23rd 2009 Impressed by service at Backpackers Car Market
by Words: 183 Photos: 0
- April 7th 2009 Hari-Kari in the Bay of Islands...
by Words: 933 Photos: 18