Battered bluenose with a side of kumara fries


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Kerikeri
December 16th 2011
Published: December 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was a day of new food experiences... fish and chips for lunch at 'the shippy' on a tall ship, but no cod or haddock in sight. We had 'bluenose' and 'kapuka' - though we're still not quite sure what they are - both white fish but with a more meaty consistency than cod - very good though. Served with kumara chips (sweet potato). Then later (despite the fact it was raining!!) I had hokey pokey ice cream (thanks Helen for the recommendation) - honeycomb flavour - which was delicious.

We went to the Waitangi Museum this morning, where we learned about the Waitangi treaty between the British and the Maori in 1834. Great museum and we also got to see a Maori cultural performance where Paul actually got to have a go at the Haka.

Weather has been fine, mid twenties, but we have to keep the waterproofs handy as it has a habit of changing to torrential downpours with very little notice!

Paul has spent the day working on his NZ accent, though we're still not very good with the pronounciations of the place names.

Long drive tomorrow down to Waitomo Caves where we have a caving adventure booked for Sunday. Possibly driving via Hobbiton - the farmland which was used for filming the hobbit village in Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Probably no internet for the next few days while we stay near the Tongariro National Park but we'll catch up again when we get to Wellington.

F


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



16th December 2011

Bottlenose..
That's dolphon .. innit? (!)
16th December 2011
F & P & the oldest building (built 1833) & the oldest house in NZ (built 1822)

WOW
Wow i bet the fish was lovely, blue nose sounds like it would whale or dolphin or somthing like that. Paul did a Harka, i hope you filmed it Flora this i must see. So glad your are enjoying it the mango forest looks cool. will look out for the next update. love MUM

Tot: 0.318s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb