Paiha and Kerikeri


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Kerikeri
February 20th 2015
Published: February 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

A quieter day today. We started off by visiting the I site ( tourist information) to book a boat trip around the islands out to the 'hole in the rock', but again as it is now past the main summer season the boat was not going to run unless more people booked. That was what I call a self fulfilling outcome as who will book knowing the probable outcome is cancellation?



However we went to Waitangi where the Treaty was signed between the English and Moaris giving the latter rights to land and customs. We then visited Haruru falls before travelling onto Kerikeri. We had a picnic lunch at Rainbow falls before reaching the Mission Station. This was the first European settlement in NZ, sponsored by the Anglican christian missionary service.The two original buildings where bequeathed to the NZ national trust in 1974. We booked a guided tour, and as members of the English National Trust we enjoyed free entry. The tour was very informative, and to protect the flooringuunn we had to take off our shoes. So we have been barefoot in the oldest house in New Zealand.



The house was built after the local Moari tribe invited the missionaries to share their land in exchange for a more comfortable lifestyle. However one of the newcomers turned bad and started trading muskets with the Moaris in exchange for food. The guns were then used against other Moari tribes and bedlam reigned.



This evening was a quiet meal in the local Indian. Tomorrow a trip down the west coast back to Auckland - only a couple more days in NZ (but still five weeks holiday to go)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb