Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Torquay
Blogs from Torquay
Latest Blogs from Torquay
- May 11th 2013 Start of the Great Ocean Road
by Words: 172 Photos: 3
- March 20th 2013 Victoria Road Trip - Day 6
by Words: 83 Photos: 10
- November 3rd 2010 Melbourne - Torquey
by Words: 690 Photos: 8
- March 15th 2010 G.O.R.
by Words: 1437 Photos: 28
- January 10th 2009 Great Ocean Road - Day 1
by Words: 302 Photos: 3
- January 2nd 2009 xmas, wedding, new year and a very long and winding road....
by Words: 409 Photos: 56
- December 21st 2008 The Great Ocean Road 5th - 10th December
by Words: 2085 Photos: 14
- September 15th 2008 Great Ocean Road is Great
by Words: 293 Photos: 7
- August 25th 2008 Getting the hang of it....
by Words: 63 Photos: 0
- August 24th 2008 Welcome!
by Words: 72 Photos: 15
- June 18th 2008 So you just stand up, right?
by Words: 594 Photos: 3
- March 24th 2008 Surfing comp and great ocean road.
by Words: 746 Photos: 8
- December 17th 2007 Goodbye Torquay
by Words: 234 Photos: 2
- December 15th 2007 Merry X-Mas
by Words: 258 Photos: 1
- December 11th 2007 endlich raus aus South Australia, auf, in Richtung Great Ocean Rd!
by Words: 404 Photos: 2
- November 17th 2007 "This is just amazing" - Great Ocean Road (Day 1)
by Words: 2596 Photos: 0
- October 28th 2007 Ice Surfing - Torquay
by Words: 296 Photos: 0
- April 12th 2007 Taj For PM
by Words: 142 Photos: 1
- April 10th 2007 Torquay and sad surf at Bells
by Words: 705 Photos: 11
- March 6th 2007 Day 247 - Wind Swept and Waterlogged
by Words: 231 Photos: 0