Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from City Centre
Blogs from City Centre
Latest Blogs from City Centre
- April 8th 2013 On The Road
by Words: 10 Photos: 0
- March 30th 2013 Travelling with friends in Melboure
by Words: 63 Photos: 5
- March 18th 2013 Australia 3
by Words: 1423 Photos: 25
- March 7th 2013 Melting in Melbourne
by Words: 231 Photos: 5
- January 2nd 2013 tickets booked!
by Words: 47 Photos: 0
- November 10th 2012 I've Arrived!!!
by Words: 199 Photos: 0
- October 6th 2012 I work and I sleep
by Words: 642 Photos: 0
- September 5th 2012 Ick like det ja
by Words: 162 Photos: 16
- August 22nd 2012 Melbourne
by Words: 159 Photos: 1
- August 16th 2012 Melbourne: The most liveable city in the world
by Words: 1849 Photos: 37
- May 3rd 2012 Sydney and my first day in Melbourne
by Words: 706 Photos: 30
- April 25th 2012 Terug naar Melbourne
by Words: 1021 Photos: 0
- April 14th 2012 Discovering Melbourne!
by Words: 865 Photos: 0
- April 1st 2012 Last seen.....riding the elevator of life......
by Words: 119 Photos: 3
- March 30th 2012 Farewell Weekend
by Words: 278 Photos: 27
- March 3rd 2012 Melbourne Food & Wine Festival
by Words: 364 Photos: 6
- February 18th 2012 Melbourne Day 08
by Words: 257 Photos: 22
- February 4th 2012 Adjusting to life down under with Possums and Pots of beer.
by Words: 508 Photos: 0
- January 6th 2012 Driving, Melbourne, and the New Year
by Words: 765 Photos: 30
- December 26th 2011 Merry Christmas from Melbourne!!
by Words: 1175 Photos: 32