Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Blogs from Fortitude Valley
Latest Blogs from Fortitude Valley
- October 1st 2012 Bus 169
by Words: 237 Photos: 2
- March 1st 2012 Finally STARTED!
by Words: 308 Photos: 0
- March 1st 2012 Planning Stage -1
by Words: 249 Photos: 1
- February 29th 2012 FINALLY STARTED!
by Words: 308 Photos: 1
- January 1st 2012 Back to the Brisbane
by Words: 1250 Photos: 12
- December 14th 2011 Sand
by Words: 1350 Photos: 2
- May 27th 2011 Scammed!
by Words: 1980 Photos: 0
- May 14th 2011 Brisbane by Any Other Name
by Words: 1183 Photos: 0
- February 24th 2011 Unser 2ter Roadtrip
by Words: 908 Photos: 0
- October 18th 2010 The end of Brisbane...
by Words: 193 Photos: 0
- October 8th 2010 The Brisbane story continues...
by Words: 134 Photos: 0
- October 7th 2010 Change of environment
by Words: 164 Photos: 0
- September 17th 2010 More Satsung
by Words: 521 Photos: 15
- July 19th 2010 Straight Outta Da Outback Mate!!! (Day 174 to Day 197)
by Words: 1130 Photos: 33
- July 19th 2010 Day 83
by Words: 177 Photos: 1
- July 19th 2010 Day 84
by Words: 168 Photos: 1
- June 11th 2010 Bris-vegas
by Words: 702 Photos: 0
- May 27th 2010 Brisbane/Australia Zoo
by Words: 59 Photos: 52
- January 18th 2010 Brisbane, Surfer's Paradise & Australia Zoo. Crikey mate!!
by Words: 1047 Photos: 60
- January 4th 2010 It's Been Awhile
by Words: 311 Photos: 3