Background: The principalities of Wallachia and Moldavia - for centuries under the suzerainty of the Turkish Ottoman Empire - secured their autonomy in 1856; they united in 1859 and a few years later adopted the new name of Romania. The country gained recognition of its independence in 1878. It joined the Allied Powers in World War I and acquired new territories following the conflict. In 1940, it allied with the Axis powers and participated in the 1941 German invasion of the USSR. Three years later, overrun by the Soviets, Romania signed an armistice. The post-war Soviet occupation led to the formation of a Communist "people's republic" in 1947 and the abdication of the king. The decades-long rule of dictator Nicolae CEAUSESCU, who took power in 1965, and his Securitate police state became increasingly oppressive and draconian through the 1980s. CEAUSESCU was overthrown and executed in late 1989. Former Communists dominated the government until 1996, when they were swept from power by a fractious coalition of centrist parties. In 2000, the center-left Social Democratic Party (PSD) became Romania's leading party, governing with the support of the Democratic Union of Hungarians in Romania (UDMR). The opposition center-right alliance formed by the National Liberal Party (PNL) and the Democratic Party (PD) scored a surprise victory over the ruling PSD in December 2004 presidential elections. The PNL-PD alliance maintains a parliamentary majority with the support of the UDMR, the Humanist Party (PUR), and various ethnic minority groups. Although Romania completed accession talks with the European Union (EU) in December 2004, it must continue to address rampant corruption - while invigorating lagging economic and democratic reforms - before it can achieve its hope of joining the EU, tentatively set for 2007. Romania joined NATO in March of 2004.
Photos from PITESTI
Blogs from PITESTI
Latest Blogs from PITESTI
- June 15th 2011 CURSURI de VARA - Pregatire examene Cambridge
by Words: 64 Photos: 3
- May 5th 2011 4 x 3 = 12. Don't waste your summer!!!
by Words: 465 Photos: 1
- May 1st 2011 ROMANIA's got BEAUTY
by Words: 528 Photos: 26
- June 16th 2010 CAE EXAM
by Words: 394 Photos: 5
- June 12th 2010 NUCSOARA
by Words: 132 Photos: 7
- June 9th 2010 FUN LEARNING
by Words: 1199 Photos: 6
- June 4th 2010 High-School Reunion
by Words: 153 Photos: 8
- May 23rd 2010 EUROGNOSI
by Words: 228 Photos: 8
- September 19th 2009 GREAT JOB, EVERYBODY!!
by Words: 124 Photos: 12
- September 6th 2009 ''ENGLISH FOR ADULTS'' TRAINING
by Words: 784 Photos: 13
- August 6th 2009 Party time ban
by Words: 270 Photos: 5
- January 24th 2009 Integrating...Romania for some time
by Words: 303 Photos: 13
- December 29th 2008 Purpose of life? travel? stay? build? play?
by Words: 210 Photos: 7
- September 7th 2007 Events in Pitesti
by Words: 205 Photos: 18
- August 15th 2007 Not turistic, not big, but there!
by Words: 169 Photos: 13
- August 1st 2007 Back home...
by Words: 367 Photos: 0
- June 8th 2007 my siss
by Words: 32 Photos: 7
- May 21st 2007 My last 2 weeks...
by Words: 149 Photos: 20
- March 23rd 2007 Here i go again, Life on the run
by Words: 188 Photos: 6