ROMANIA's got BEAUTY


Advertisement
Romania's flag
Europe » Romania » Muntenia » Arges » PITESTI
May 1st 2011
Published: May 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

It's been a lovely day with sunny spells and some scattered showers. We decided to head off to MUZEUL GOLESTI which is a breath-taking traditional Romanian village with small traditional cottages, a church and school and horse stables, all gathered around the old mansion which used to belong to Dinicu Golescu (1777-1830), a wealthy and wise Romanian landowner who lived in the 18th/19th century. It is on account of many social and political enterprises and projects which he undertook and due to his thinking and understanding of the surrounding world that were far ahead of his time, that his life and enlightened attitude remain as a true landmark in the Romanian history. He founded a school on his property where children were given the opportunity to study free of charge and he took active part in the advent of Romanian newspapers and the launch of the first newspaper written in Romanian language, " Curierul romanesc" . He's also the first Romanian writer to keep a diary and publish a book about his travels in Western Europe.

The Golesti Museum was inaugurated by king Carol II in June 1939.

About 2 years ago I visited " Pueblito Paisa" in Spain and I was mesmerised by the small lovely cottages and shops which were there to represent the authentic Spanish countryside. The Golesti Museum doesn't fall short of its Spanish counterpart. The only downside would be that it gets far less advertising, publicity, it's probably state property rather than a private business, so people in charge of the museum don't care very much about advertising it properly and ensuring a real tourist flow all year-round. Investment-wise it probably lacks funds and creative ideas. There isn't a shop for souvenirs, nor a designated area for lunch, which is badly needed, as visiting families can very well be there for the day.

Not only does it remain unknown to the public who might be interested in visiting it, but the fact that it is not widely advertised represents, at least in my view, a great financial and cultural loss. My boy-friend who's been living 10 km away from it for 31 years has never been here!! Imagine the kind of publicity this museum would generate in a Western Country where it would be appropriately marketed by somebody who saw and understood the touristic and consequently financial potential of this little cultural gem stone. Imagine it being set up in Spain or Germany!

So I am doing the job for whoever is in charge of it and recommend it whole-heartedly. There are beautiful places to visit the world over, but luckily and fortunately there are many just around the corner. So next weekend, if it's sunny and you don't have any plans, jump in your car, destination: Muzeul Golesti. You'll absolutely love it!! And you don't know nothing yet!! There are horses and ponies you can hire and ride for as little as 30 Ron for half hour!!! 😊

Enjoy!!! And don't dismiss the idea: ROMANIA'S GOT BEAUTY!!! I'm beginning to notice it and I'm proud!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb