Background: Greece achieved its independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1829. During the second half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century, it gradually added neighboring islands and territories, most with Greek-speaking populations. In World War II, Greece was first invaded by Italy (1940) and subsequently occupied by Germany (1941-44); fighting endured in a protracted civil war between royalist supporters of the king and communist rebels. Following the latter's defeat in 1949, Greece was able to join NATO in 1952. A military dictatorship, which in 1967 suspended many political liberties and forced the king to flee the country, lasted seven years. The 1974 democratic elections and a referendum created a parliamentary republic and abolished the monarchy. Greece joined the European Community or EC in 1981 (which became the EU in 1992); it became the 12th member of the euro zone in 2001.
Photos from Syros
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Syros
Latest Blogs from Syros
- June 9th 2012 Syros, the center of Cyclades and our visit to the Orthodox Church atop the hill
by Words: 690 Photos: 28
- June 10th 2011 Syros Ermoupolis
by Words: 560 Photos: 2
- June 9th 2011 Ermoupolis Syros
by Words: 234 Photos: 3
- June 8th 2011 Mykonos to Syros
by Words: 926 Photos: 1
- September 20th 2010 Syros
by Words: 488 Photos: 1
- September 20th 2010 Next Stop - Syros
by Words: 654 Photos: 19
- August 11th 2010 EXPERIENCING GREEK LIFE IN SYROS
by Words: 794 Photos: 48
- August 17th 2009 Syros - we could be greek!
by Words: 809 Photos: 12
- July 7th 2009 LETS GET SYROS!
by Words: 1490 Photos: 34
- May 29th 2009 Still in the Agean
by Words: 2 Photos: 7
- May 29th 2009 The Fabulous Cyclades
by Words: 182 Photos: 8
- May 29th 2009 More Pics and Notes
by Words: 39 Photos: 11
- March 2nd 2009 Carnival Festivities and Greek Island Excursions!
by Words: 1151 Photos: 12
- September 17th 2008 SYROS ISLAND
by Words: 355 Photos: 3
- September 11th 2008 A breath of Fresh Sea Air
by Words: 267 Photos: 5
- August 11th 2005 Uh oh sea sickness!
by Words: 149 Photos: 1