Background: Greece achieved its independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1829. During the second half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century, it gradually added neighboring islands and territories, most with Greek-speaking populations. In World War II, Greece was first invaded by Italy (1940) and subsequently occupied by Germany (1941-44); fighting endured in a protracted civil war between royalist supporters of the king and communist rebels. Following the latter's defeat in 1949, Greece was able to join NATO in 1952. A military dictatorship, which in 1967 suspended many political liberties and forced the king to flee the country, lasted seven years. The 1974 democratic elections and a referendum created a parliamentary republic and abolished the monarchy. Greece joined the European Community or EC in 1981 (which became the EU in 1992); it became the 12th member of the euro zone in 2001.
Photos from Corinth
Blogs from Corinth
Latest Blogs from Corinth
- October 9th 2011 Bungee Jumping off the Corinth Canal!
by Words: 539 Photos: 0
- June 29th 2011 More Greek Adventures.
by Words: 204 Photos: 13
- June 27th 2011 It's all Greek to Me!
by Words: 325 Photos: 0
- June 5th 2011 Nemea
by Words: 638 Photos: 14
- May 29th 2011 Corinth - Ancient Ruins and Canal
by Words: 694 Photos: 12
- May 26th 2010 Let the games begin
by Words: 152 Photos: 1
- September 3rd 2009 Last stop - Corinth
by Words: 211 Photos: 4
- May 5th 2009 Peloponnese Day 1: Venetian Castles Everywhere!
by Words: 798 Photos: 28
- April 6th 2009 Because sometimes you need a little crazy in life...
by Words: 804 Photos: 9