Corinth


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Pelopennese » Corinth
May 23rd 2018
Published: May 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

CorinthCorinthCorinth

The Canal; walls 240’ high.
While the rest of the passengers went off to Athens to brave the crowds, I decided to stay on board and enjoy a message. Good decision. I opted for a what is called a “Perfect Day” and not only was it on sale, the masseuse was not in any hurry. Exfoliation, full body massage, a seaweed wrap, scalp neck and shoulder massage and an eye booster treatment. I melted into the table and purred like a kitten. The sun was strong and I went to the pool for a dip before lunch and then a nap, happy hour and dinner. Have I mentioned I love my life?



Following Athens we cruise to Navplion a small waterside town on the southern coast of the Peloponnesus. Today’s tour takes me to Corinth and the history of this part of Greece. Ancient Corinth was occupied by the Romans, Goths, Crusaders, Ottoman Turks and the Venetians, all leaving their mark on the ares.



Our tour takes us first to the Corinth Canal. Built in the late 1800’s by the engineer DeLesseps who designed the Suez, the canal is four miles long, 70 feet wide and 170 feet high. While
Ancient CorinthAncient CorinthAncient Corinth

Temple of Apollo and cistern.
it doesn’t compare with the Suez or the Panama canals, it is a major feat for the time. It connects the Gulf of Corinth with the Aegean. It replaced a road where ships would be dragged across the isthmus from one sea to the other.



In ancient times, Corinth was a thriving seaport and the isthmus was a strategic location that discouraged the city states of the mainland and the Peloponnesian state from warring, not that it worked.



Ancient Corinth is a mixture of Greek and Roman ruins that date as far back as the 6th century BC. Surviving is much of the temple of Apollo where seven of the original thirty-eight Doric columns are still standing. It overlooks the remains of an Agora or marketplace where small shops sold their wares around a colonnaded square. The remains of a major highway that connected the city to the port of Lechaion is still there.



We were lucky that the temperature was mild and there was a cool breeze as the marble building material reflects sunlight and it can get quite hot.





We headed back to the
CorinthCorinthCorinth

The Romans were here.
port area with shops and cafes lined the seafront. While many of my tour mates went exploring I was feeling a little tired and off I went to take a nap.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.43s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb