Background: As Europe's largest economy and most populous nation, Germany remains a key member of the continent's economic, political, and defense organizations. European power struggles immersed Germany in two devastating World Wars in the first half of the 20th century and left the country occupied by the victorious Allied powers of the US, UK, France, and the Soviet Union in 1945. With the advent of the Cold War, two German states were formed in 1949: the western Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) and the eastern German Democratic Republic (GDR). The democratic FRG embedded itself in key Western economic and security organizations, the EC, which became the EU, and NATO, while the Communist GDR was on the front line of the Soviet-led Warsaw Pact. The decline of the USSR and the end of the Cold War allowed for German unification in 1990. Since then, Germany has expended considerable funds to bring Eastern productivity and wages up to Western standards. In January 1999, Germany and 10 other EU countries introduced a common European exchange currency, the euro.
Photos from Munich
Blogs from Munich
Latest Blogs from Munich
- May 17th 2013 Anonymous is not Gandhi. Gandhi didn't dox people.
by Words: 246 Photos: 0
- May 14th 2013 Because, nobody is a cruel as Anonymous is
by Words: 664 Photos: 0
- May 13th 2013 Munich Airport & The Tale Of The Lost Luggage
by Words: 666 Photos: 0
- April 14th 2013 Hiking and opening the beer garden season in Munich
by Words: 213 Photos: 5
- March 22nd 2013 From the Girl God Author
by Words: 126 Photos: 0
- March 17th 2013 Rapebook(aka [controversial Humour] Rapebook)
by Words: 3565 Photos: 0
- February 23rd 2013 Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
by Words: 4416 Photos: 50
- February 14th 2013 Thunderclap
by Words: 372 Photos: 0
- February 7th 2013 Free spirits
by Words: 2404 Photos: 0
- January 23rd 2013 Help save a life, by emailing the the consulates listed in this blog, and asking others to also do so.
by Words: 272 Photos: 0
- January 20th 2013 FINAL DAYS OF THE TRIP!! :(
by Words: 1375 Photos: 0
- January 9th 2013 Censorship
by Words: 2325 Photos: 0
- December 26th 2012 Beer, Camps and Castles
by Words: 617 Photos: 6
- December 12th 2012 GERMANY
by Words: 14 Photos: 14
- November 30th 2012 Me and Lydia(my 11 year old daughter) are going to the Andaman islands, India.
by Words: 176 Photos: 0
- November 28th 2012 'Metalheads supporting Feminism' - Happy Holidays
by Words: 127 Photos: 0
- November 9th 2012 Please help!
by Words: 125 Photos: 0
- October 5th 2012 Fin de semaine à Munich!
by Words: 254 Photos: 39
- September 28th 2012 Oktoberfest + The Sound of Music
by Words: 847 Photos: 20
- September 26th 2012 Oktoberfest, Oh my!
by Words: 1470 Photos: 39