Munich City and Oberammergau


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
May 22nd 2023
Published: May 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Rothenburg, we drove to Munich for the night. This morning we started out with a bus tour of the city. This was quite a disappointment as it was very difficult to see the landmarks that were pointed out and construction and traffic the drive was not a pleasant one. The one nice stop on the drive was at Nymphenburg Palace, the summer home of Max Emanuel. It was he, who in the late 1600's, increased the size to what it is today.

From there we made our way to Marienplatz to enjoy the rest of the morning and have lunch. In this area is the New City Hall, home of a Glockenspiel, that we were lucky enough to enjoy as it only activates three times a day. To watch this easily, we snagged a table at a restaurant in the plaza for lunch (hamburgers) for the noon performance. After lunch we wandered the plaza taking in the Holy Spirit Church, the Fish Fountain and other historic buildings. We did not have time to get to the market around the corner or visit some of the shops. I would have rather skipped to bus tour and spent more time in the plaza.

After leaving Munich, we stopped at Oberammergau, the home of the Passion Play. The play is held every 10 years, but the town has a religious theme about it with the beautiful decor on the houses and businesses and the many items displayed around town. We did enjoy an ice cream while there.

Our dinner when we arrived in Füssen for the night was delicious steak and fried potatoes,

Tomorrow we are in Füssen for a trip up the highest mountain in Germany.




Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb