Background: The native Amerindian population of Cuba began to decline after the European discovery of the island by Christopher COLUMBUS in 1492 and following its development as a Spanish colony during the next several centuries. Large numbers of African slaves were imported to work the coffee and sugar plantations and Havana became the launching point for the annual treasure fleets bound for Spain from Mexico and Peru. Spanish rule was severe and exploitative and occasional rebellions were harshly suppressed. It was US intervention during the Spanish-American War in 1898 that finally overthrew Spanish rule. The subsequent Treaty of Paris established Cuban independence, which was granted in 1902 after a three-year transition period. Fidel CASTRO led a rebel army to victory in 1959; his iron rule has held the regime together since then. Cuba's Communist revolution, with Soviet support, was exported throughout Latin America and Africa during the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. The country is now slowly recovering from a severe economic recession in 1990, following the withdrawal of former Soviet subsidies, worth $4 billion to $6 billion annually. Cuba portrays its difficulties as the result of the US embargo in place since 1961. Illicit migration to the US - using homemade rafts, alien smugglers, air flights, or via the southwest border - is a continuing problem. The US Coast Guard intercepted 1,498 individuals attempting to cross the Straits of Florida in 2004.
Photos from Trinidad
Blogs from Trinidad
Latest Blogs from Trinidad
- August 5th 2013 Trinidad
by Words: 674 Photos: 9
- April 22nd 2013 Trinidad part 2- Casa Elio
by Words: 919 Photos: 10
- April 20th 2013 Trinidad - the sincere Cuban
by Words: 1240 Photos: 16
- February 3rd 2013 The Unholy Trinity of Trinidad, Touts, Taxis and Tourists
by Words: 3073 Photos: 16
- January 15th 2013 Honey, there are horses in the living room.
by Words: 2178 Photos: 44
- January 1st 2013 Happy New Year from Trinidad, Cuba
by Words: 58 Photos: 0
- August 6th 2012 Trinidad; Pathetic Fallacy & Good Luck
by Words: 888 Photos: 4
- April 28th 2012 The Children of the Revolution
by Words: 2119 Photos: 15
- May 15th 2011 Cuba!!
by Words: 1718 Photos: 5
- March 29th 2011 Cuba - Trinidad
by Words: 1199 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2011 Trinidad and Bayamo, Cuba
by Words: 2631 Photos: 51
- January 24th 2011 The Big Chicken, Che, Magic, Salsa and Da Vinci
by Words: 761 Photos: 4
- January 23rd 2011 Definitely Different - Cuba
by Words: 3166 Photos: 16
- June 18th 2010 Cuba - Trinidad
by Words: 414 Photos: 0
- March 23rd 2010 Cuba: Son, Mojitos and Viva Revolution
by Words: 2821 Photos: 12
- March 6th 2010 Trinidad and Viñales
by Words: 586 Photos: 23
- March 5th 2010 When in doubt, fry it.
by Words: 1258 Photos: 18
- February 15th 2010 Big Cuba Tour - Trinidad
by Words: 160 Photos: 12
- February 10th 2010 A blast from the past.
by Words: 363 Photos: 5
- November 14th 2009 Trinidad Trippin'
by Words: 1674 Photos: 24