Background: Laos was under the control of Siam (Thailand) from the late 18th century until the late 19th century when it became part of French Indochina. The Franco-Siamese Treaty of 1907 defined the current Lao border with Thailand. In 1975, the Communist Pathet Lao took control of the government, ending a six-century-old monarchy. Initial closer ties to Vietnam and socialization were replaced with a gradual return to private enterprise, a liberalization of foreign investment laws, and the admission into ASEAN in 1997.
Photos from Ban Houayxay
Blogs from Ban Houayxay
Latest Blogs from Ban Houayxay
- April 18th 2010 La gohn Laos!Sawadii krap Thailand!
by Words: 427 Photos: 19
- February 22nd 2010 awww crap.
by Words: 157 Photos: 0
- February 14th 2010 Huang Xai
by Words: 8 Photos: 4
- November 11th 2009 11th November 2009
by Words: 362 Photos: 3
- August 1st 2009 CHIANG KHONG TO HOAYXAI TO PATBENG THE SLOW BOAT DOWN THE MEKONG
by Words: 377 Photos: 6
- November 27th 2008 Slow Boat Down the Mekong
by Words: 151 Photos: 13
- November 6th 2008 Huay Xai 6 - 10th
by Words: 347 Photos: 23
- May 7th 2008 LAOS: VIENTIANE, VANG VIANG, LUANG PRABANG, LUANG NAMTHA AND HOAY XAI...
by Words: 1620 Photos: 19
- April 29th 2008 The Gibbon Experience, Boat Trips, Sambuca and Waterfalls
by Words: 1795 Photos: 12
- April 27th 2008 Voyager sur le Mekong : top classe...
by Words: 204 Photos: 40
- April 24th 2008 Laos
by Words: 6 Photos: 28
- April 21st 2008 Hanoi to Luang Prabang (Laos) to Huay Xai
by Words: 1464 Photos: 77
- April 9th 2008 Houay Xay
by Words: 81 Photos: 2
- April 1st 2008 Slow boat to disaster!
by Words: 879 Photos: 15
- March 29th 2008 Crossing into Laos
by Words: 595 Photos: 1
- March 22nd 2008 Huay Xai to Pak Beng
by Words: 83 Photos: 2
- March 21st 2008 Chiang Saen to Huay Xai
by Words: 390 Photos: 3
- February 23rd 2008 Laos PDR: Please Don't Rush
by Words: 847 Photos: 6
- February 4th 2008 The mighty Mekong River
by Words: 281 Photos: 3
- January 29th 2008 The Slow Boat
by Words: 614 Photos: 7