Background: The Dutch began to colonize Indonesia in the early 17th century; the islands were occupied by Japan from 1942 to 1945. Indonesia declared its independence after Japan's surrender, but it required four years of intermittent negotiations, recurring hostilities, and UN mediation before the Netherlands agreed to relinquish its colony. Indonesia is the world's largest archipelagic state. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, continuing the transition to popularly-elected governments after four decades of authoritarianism, implementing reforms of the banking sector, addressing charges of cronyism and corruption, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations. Indonesia has been dealing with armed separatist movements in Aceh and in Papua.
Photos from Malang
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Malang
Latest Blogs from Malang
- November 2nd 2012 Hiden Paradise Called: Sempu Island
by Words: 51 Photos: 0
- July 14th 2012 Pacitan and Malang
by Words: 846 Photos: 7
- July 13th 2012 Not to toot my own horn...
by Words: 576 Photos: 0
- September 8th 2010 Last stop :(
by Words: 252 Photos: 0
- September 2nd 2010 Balekambang Beach - Malang
by Words: 737 Photos: 9
- August 1st 2010 Malang: Parijs van Oost-Java
by Words: 1008 Photos: 3
- July 28th 2010 sepotong surga (pulau sempu)
by Words: 246 Photos: 8
- June 26th 2010 Happy cooking! Indonesian-Belgian-Philipinan-Italian-French... super duper yumm!
by Words: 166 Photos: 11
- April 12th 2010 Hanging out with a famous rock star
by Words: 666 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2010 "Coban Rondo" waterfall and lovely US friends! :D
by Words: 851 Photos: 7
- March 22nd 2010 Sempu island - muddy trip..
by Words: 574 Photos: 8
- November 17th 2009 'Batik' class... part 1
by Words: 370 Photos: 5
- November 10th 2009 Mango Time!
by Words: 238 Photos: 1
- November 1st 2009 Outside by Night
by Words: 334 Photos: 1
- October 30th 2009 Halloween by Cocktail
by Words: 622 Photos: 2
- October 12th 2009 Balekambang Beach
by Words: 297 Photos: 5
- October 11th 2009 Travels in East Java
by Words: 1030 Photos: 4
- September 12th 2009 Boring weekend....
by Words: 81 Photos: 3
- July 13th 2009 Op reis door Oost Java
by Words: 1918 Photos: 7
- June 19th 2009 Ne Me Quitte Pas
by Words: 4073 Photos: 60