Background: For centuries China stood as a leading civilization, outpacing the rest of the world in the arts and sciences, but in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the country was beset by civil unrest, major famines, military defeats, and foreign occupation. After World War II, the Communists under MAO Zedong established an autocratic socialist system that, while ensuring China's sovereignty, imposed strict controls over everyday life and cost the lives of tens of millions of people. After 1978, his successor DENG Xiaoping and other leaders focused on market-oriented economic development and by 2000 output had quadrupled. For much of the population, living standards have improved dramatically and the room for personal choice has expanded, yet political controls remain tight.
Blogs from Zhangjiagang
Latest Blogs from Zhangjiagang
- August 22nd 2011 I love China
by Words: 755 Photos: 0
- February 2nd 2011 the bike and other stories
by Words: 345 Photos: 1
- January 11th 2011 The last week or so...
by Words: 592 Photos: 0
- January 5th 2011 Finally some pictures
by Words: 28 Photos: 49
- January 4th 2011 New year and beyond
by Words: 495 Photos: 0
- December 30th 2010 My Days Off
by Words: 716 Photos: 0
- December 28th 2010 firstday at work
by Words: 277 Photos: 0
- December 28th 2010 The days after christmas
by Words: 473 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2010 The journey
by Words: 457 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2010 Christmas celebrations
by Words: 323 Photos: 0
- December 20th 2010 Just 3 days to go...
by Words: 108 Photos: 0
- June 16th 2008 last day in zhangjiagang :(
by Words: 64 Photos: 47
- June 14th 2008 last classes :(
by Words: 10 Photos: 21
- May 20th 2008 may show, tutoring, and other random pics!
by Words: 111 Photos: 75
- May 19th 2008 national mourning
by Words: 548 Photos: 2
- May 13th 2008 all safe in zhangjiagang!
by Words: 115 Photos: 0
- May 9th 2008 6th grade letters : )
by Words: 589 Photos: 12
- April 30th 2008 more ktv pics!
by Words: 72 Photos: 14
- April 23rd 2008 weekends, tutoring & ktv...
by Words: 1524 Photos: 18
- April 1st 2008 a bit of an update!
by Words: 771 Photos: 27