Welcome to the Travel Forums

Why join TravelBlog?

  • Membership is Free and Easy
  • Your travel questions answered in minutes!
  • Become part of the friendliest online travel community.
Join Now! Join TravelBlog* today and meet thousands of friendly travelers. Don't wait! Join today and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

* Blogging is not required to participate in the forums

Australian citizen, British passport

does a british passport automatically make me part of the EU?
14 years ago, November 4th 2005 No: 1 Msg: #3081  
I am currently an australian citizen, i want to become a member of the EU and i am able to get a british passport.

If i have this passport and i am not a british citizen, does that still mean i am part of the EU?

If anyone has some useful sites or links please send them also. Reply to this

14 years ago, November 4th 2005 No: 2 Msg: #3082  
B Posts: 455
I have a feeling that if you have a British passport it means you must have dual citizenship - therefore you are also a member of the EU.

I'll check this though.

Reply to this

14 years ago, November 5th 2005 No: 3 Msg: #3087  

Thanks a lot mate!

As an aussie, i can have dual citizenship, all i really need to know is if having a British Passport will automatically make me a British Citizen

Reply to this

14 years ago, November 5th 2005 No: 4 Msg: #3088  
B Posts: 553
Hopefully Matt can find out some info for you. I've never been too hot on finding out specifics like this online.

If you can get a British Passport, I believe that would make you a citizen. If Australia recognizes dual citizenship, then you should be ok.

Are you getting the passport to move to England, or to travel with more ease? I am British, but have lived in the US since I was 12. I refuse to become American, since America doesn't recognize Dual Citizenship, but Britain does. It's a little strange, but I'm happy to keep my ties to my home. Reply to this

13 years ago, January 30th 2006 No: 5 Msg: #3893  
Australia do accept Dual citizanship, so you will be fine to live in the UK or travel with ease. What I am questioning is, can my wife optain a british passport because I have one? And where do I find this information out from? (I'm form australia too by the way!)
Reply to this

13 years ago, February 2nd 2006 No: 6 Msg: #3922  
Rhemus, as far as I know you can only get a british passport if you have british ancestry. I don't think, wickets, that your wife can get one because you have one, she must have ancestry there.

My sister got a british passport, and she said thats its not part of the EU. I think there is two or three countries that aren't in the EU. Anyway, with the british passport you can get a 4 year renewable british working visa. This doesn't allow you to work in "ANY" EU country though, just britain. So you have england, scotland and north ireland where your allowed to work. Its an absolute joke, and I wish they became part of the EU already..

I haven't got all the info, but thats what I understand to be the case.

To find out all the relevant info, you need to talk to the Australian and or the British consolate.

Good luck!!

Troy boy. Reply to this

13 years ago, February 2nd 2006 No: 7 Msg: #3923  
B Posts: 553
No, you do not need british ancestry, you need to be a British Citizen, from all I can figure, those are two different things.

Also, while I'm still a little confused about the UK's EU status, I do know that my British Passport has "European Union" stamped across the top of it.

This would be a good place to look for correct info: http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/
Reply to this

13 years ago, February 2nd 2006 No: 8 Msg: #3932  
HA HA... well, this whole thing can get really confusing..

What I meant was, if you AREN'T a british citizen you need to have british ansestry or you cannot get the 4 year british ancestry visa. Its actually called a british visa, not a british passport - what I was talking about anyway..

Working visa, ancestry visa, is for 4 years, you can work in any job for as long as you want during that period, after 2 years you can apply for residency. After 4 years you can apply for citizenship or leave the country - get another 4 year visa and go back.

My appologies if I made a mistake, I'm not an expert on this subject by any means, but I got this info from my sisters who are both living over seas. One has a EU passport (damn her..) and the other is in my boat with the british ancestry visa.

If you have any specific questions, post them up and I'll see if they know the answers.. Reply to this

13 years ago, May 28th 2006 No: 9 Msg: #5924  
Ahhh British Passports are confusing.....

You can get a British Passport if you're not a citizen in some cases....British Overseas Citizen I think. A British Passport allows you to work anywhere in the EU. In order for your spouse to get a British Passport, he/she must apply for a spousal visa and live with you in the UK for 2/3 years, proving first that both of you can support yourselves without public assistance. After this she can apply for citizenship.

I know this post is a little late for this thread but hopefully it will help others in the same situation. Reply to this

13 years ago, September 17th 2006 No: 10 Msg: #7519  
Hi - just got my citizenship, took the oath of allegiance to HM-ER in april and am off next month with my spanky new brit passport. If you look at the cover of the new ones, they actually say EU. What the varying rules re reciprocal agreements are ect you need to chk out country by country. Im an Aussie migration agent but not a UK or EU one - yet!
Reply to this

13 years ago, September 19th 2006 No: 11 Msg: #7536  
Britain is a fully signed up member of the EU. This means that people with British passports are allowed to move freely within and between all EU countries. As for working in the EU, different countries have different rules (ie. you have to get certain visas) but part of being in the EU means that with a British passport you DO have the right to work in any EU country. Very handy! Reply to this

12 years ago, August 14th 2007 No: 12 Msg: #17957  
N Posts: 10
The Maastricht Treaty introduced the concept of citizenship of the European Union. This citizenship flows from national citizenship — one holds the nationality of a EU member state and as a result becomes a "citizen of the Union" in addition.
EU citizenship offers certain rights and privileges within the EU; in many areas EU citizens have the same or similar rights as native citizens in member states. Such rights granted to EU citizens include: freedom of movement and the right of residence within the territory of the Member States; right to vote and stand as a candidate at elections to the European Parliament and at municipal elections in the Member State of residence; right to diplomatic and consular protection; right of petition to the European Parliament; and right to refer to the Ombudsman.
The right of residence connotes not only the right of abode, but also the right to apply to work in any position (including national civil services with the exception of sensitive positions such as defence).

EU member states also use a common passport design, burgundy coloured, with the name of the member state, national seal, and the title "European Union" (or its translation), and most also use a common format for their driving licences in order to simplify their use within the whole EU. Reply to this

12 years ago, November 5th 2007 No: 13 Msg: #22025  
B Posts: 3
Not sure if anyones still reading this, but, I am an Aussie with a British passport as both my parents are british, but i've never lived in England. I am planning to go and work in London next year for a couple of months do I still need to get a working visa or does having a british passport exempt me from needing one?
camilla Reply to this

12 years ago, November 13th 2007 No: 14 Msg: #22479  
I hope that when new people who become Citizens of my country they hold true the values and responsibilities that we expect from our citizens. As when I attempt to get my citizenship In Australia which allows me access to NZ and Aus (much the same way as people joining the EU) I will endeavor to do the same. Reply to this

10 years ago, October 10th 2009 No: 15 Msg: #88994  
N Posts: 12
hello I am Australian (well least thats where i was born) but i don't have a certificate to prove that, only a birth cirficate.

The Ancestory Visa application Grandparents How many generation can count to a Ancestory visa.

I have tryed a teir 1/ 2 visa Skilled worker , but I am too old over 32 (42 years old)

How can I get a visa for WORK in the uk. for 1 to 2 year period

Ps I don;t think Australian citizenship allows access to New Zealand Reply to this

10 years ago, October 11th 2009 No: 16 Msg: #88997  

Where is your passport from?

Reply to this

10 years ago, October 11th 2009 No: 17 Msg: #88998  
N Posts: 12
i am mostly want to know about ancestory visa how can you get it

Australia Reply to this

10 years ago, October 12th 2009 No: 18 Msg: #89088  
Hi Warrigal.

You can work in NZ as an Australian, as we have reciprocal agreement to the best of my knowledge (thats why there are so many kiwis here).

As regards the questions on UK visas, go to www.fco.gov.uk and have a look. Ancestry usually means one or both of your grandparents were born in the UK or meet some conditions.

If one of your parents was born in the UK you may be able to take out uk citizenship and then apply for a passport, thereby receiving workrights for the UK aand EU.

Good luck! Reply to this

10 years ago, October 12th 2009 No: 19 Msg: #89090  
N Posts: 12
The problem I have found is I am Too Old for most UK Visa Program, (mobility scheame 18/32 year old) I am 42

So ancestory is the only over way, but Is till would have to Work. I was told that I could get a Teir 1/2 Skilled worker Visa, but in the last year I haven't earnt enough cash for there requirements. and the maintenence money I don't have.
I what to leve Australia so I can get work, No work here for anyone unemployed.

My qualification is a Disability Carer Worker I have also worked with Children but not qualified in this.
So that is what I am looking at , so I need a sponsor employer to then get a VISA

My plan is to stay for about a year in the UK before moving on to europe for trip.
Any advice from thows that have been their and done it. Reply to this

10 years ago, November 12th 2009 No: 20 Msg: #93374  
N Posts: 1
I am Australian born in 1984 and have lived here my whole life. But my Father was born in the UK. I am pretty sure he wasn't a UK citizen when i was born as he had moved to Australia as a 10 pound import when he was a teenager. He has now lived in Malta for 8 or 9 years and i have no idea what his current citizenship is.My parents were married when i was born and i have a copy of his birth certificate.

I want a UK passport for ease of travel, not so that i can live there. Do i need to get duel citizenship? Or am i already one through ancestory???

Any help would be much appreciated. 😊 Reply to this

Tot: 2.998s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 3; qc: 142; dbt: 0.3022s; 2; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb