Orvieto Nov 10


Advertisement
South America
November 13th 2010
Published: November 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

As soon as we left assisi it started raining again!.but luckily during the last 40 min it eased off which was heaven sent as access to Orvieto is via windey mountain range we had to traverse! Scenery was lovely for me, Max to busy concentrating on road! Had to drop car off at 4 .pm & got there on time. Found a little hotel to stay here the night in the town at the bottom of the cliff & then took a furnicular ( cable drawn tram) up the cliff face 300 metres where the actual town of Orvieto sits precariously on a plateau. After the steep furnicular ride (which was fun) you then get on a bus which takes you to the main square in town where the Duomo is. This Gothic duomo is one of Italy's greatest cathedrals due mainly to its facade which is very ornate. Inside it is like Sienna's duomo with striped columns throughout. Again some nice frescoes here. We had a walk around to the edge of one of the town walls - very high up! Cause we so high very cold wind blowing so back on a bus, back down the cliff on the furnicular, from where it was a short walk to our little hotel.
Nov 11 - Early start today at 7.30 a.m to catch the train to EVERYWHERE!!! cause we wanted to do a bus trip round the Amalfi Coast. This was a huge day & although it was worth it wouldn't recommend it cause just so tiring!
From Orvieto to Rome - 1 hr, Rome to Naples - ! & half hrs, Naples to Salerno- 1hr. At Salerno train station there is a bus stop in front where everyone just stands & heaps of buses pull up to various destinations. We had to wait about half hour to get a bus to the town of Amalfi. The trip From Salerno to Amalfi takes you about half way along the Amalfi Coast. It is as spectacular as people say, glad doing it in a bus! Buildings cling to the cliffs & descend to the sea, hairpin bends & the very narrow road smakes its way up & down the coast. Its unbelievable how high up you go & again how impossible that houses have been built there. When we got to the town of Amalfi we had to then got another bus to Sorrento. The bus stops in these places are hectic! Lots of buses coming & going constantly, and people milling about in front of buses, behind buses, wanting ti get on them while they are still pulling in, O,H & S doesn't exist! The trip from Amalfi to Sorrento took ages - distance isn't far but it takes so long with all the bends, ascents & descents not to mention traffic coming in the opp direction having to reverse on corners when they meet the bus coming the other way!!
By time we got to Sorrento, about 5.00 we were really tired so found the nearest bar & downed 2 big beers! I actually left Max to relax while I scouted for a hotel to stay in. Found a nice one in the middle of town that was really modern & the cheaest we had yet! Had dinner & we crashed for the night - & I mean crashed!!!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb