Week 2 - Painting, painting and painting


Advertisement
South America
July 16th 2009
Published: July 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hola, buenos dias amigos - we hope all is well with you all back home and thanks for keeping up with our news by reading the blog. Please continue to pray for us as we commence our final 3 days of the mission.

From Monday until Wednesday this week we started and completed a painting project in the church at Los Vergeles. The "sanctuary" of the church had been painted previously but the church hall, 2 class rooms, kitchen, toilets and the patio area were all still the original, dull, concrete grey colour! We set about brightening the place up a bit... sorry, a lot!

Last week Miguel and Ricardo measured the walls which needed to be painted (roughamente) and purchased numerous tubs of brightly coloured paint from a local paint shop, with some rather comical language difficulities! The paints were selected specifically with the PEPE children in mind - bright colours like azul y amarillo (blue and yellow) for the classrooms and verde y crema (green below and cream above) for the kitchen and church hall where mucky pups are likely to decorate the walls with their hands!

The painting commenced on Monday at 8am and by 3pm yesterday every room had been painted with a sealant and at least 2 coats of colour... Everyone worked so hard and we worked so well together as a team; each member helping each another and finding their own wee specialist jons... Oli for example was superb at delicately painting the edges while others were painting the larger bits with huge rollers! Great team spirit and a great achievement too.

Everyone seems pretty tired now! As well as the painting we lead a meeting in a local church on Tuesday night. Wendy did especially well as she had been asked to deliver an extended sermon. She spoke on the Good Samaritan and the passage in Philipians 2 about shining like stars whereever we are. She did so well. Lidia again held it all together... introducing each part of the programme in Spanish, praying and reading the Bible passages in Spanish and translating for those of us who can´t speak Spanish! That night Oli also shared a testimony with the church and Lidia translated.

After all this hard work we have been given the day off! We have chosen to go to the beach which is about 90mins drive away. Unfortunately Oli and Mike won´t be joining us as they are not feeling very well. (Mike started feeling a bit unwell last night - he says he has a cold and hopes that staying in bed today will allow him to be well for the PEPE class tomorrow morning).

Thanks for all your prayers and comments - it´s so encouraging to hear from so many of you and to know that you´re supporting us every step of the way.

Que tengas un buen dia 😊

Love from The Team x

Advertisement



16th July 2009

Painting, painting and painting
These Blog reports are an excellent way of keeping in touch. You are all doing so very well and deserved a day off. You are completing all your tasks in record times. Sorry to hear Mike and Oli are not well and pray for a quick recovery. Hope those who went to the beach had a great time - I know one person who will have made the most of every minute!!! Well done for all the painting and to Wendy for the Sermon, which sounds Holy Sptrit inspired. Lidia. you are working so hard with all the translation, readings and prayers. We miss seeing you around the house here but glad you are having such a good time. All for now. Much love,Angela / Mum!
17th July 2009

last few days!
Hi folks! Hope your last few days go as well as your previous days. That all you set out to do is accomplished and that your last visit at the PEPES meeting is a success.You have all done an outstanding job and the demands I am sure will be diminished with your blessing for your service. Have a great,safe trip home and hopefully without incident-Wendy!and that all your stuff comes back with you:-) Look forward to hearing more from you Wendy on your return,with pictures,after you have had a well deserved rest of course.
18th July 2009

Busy Bees!
Wow, you guys have done so much in such a short time. Really enjoyed reading all the entries. It sounds like you are all having a positive impact on the community there. Hope that Mike and Oli are feeling better now and that everyone else in the team stays well too. Love and prayers to you all.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb