Machetes and "Missiones"


Advertisement
South America
July 8th 2009
Published: July 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we had another busy day in Guayaquil...

We began the day with a short time of reflection led by Peter Butchers, focussing on James 2:14-25, a passage which looks at the importance of faith and deeds. We will begin each day with this reflection time, a really helpful way of focussing the group at the start of the day.

The rest of the morning was spend in Valle de la Flor, a slum area of Guayaquil, where a plot of land has been bought to build a new church on. The land, as you can see from the pictures badly needed to be cleared, so we popped into the local HiperMarket, bought a few large machetes and got down to some good old manual labour. If ever the expression "Many hands make light work" was true, it was then!! We finished the work in a matter of hours, even having time to burn the waste and smaple some of the local delicacies... deep fried banana and some crazy homemade fruit juice!

The afternoon was spent in preparation for the evening meeting that we led in the missiones in Bastion Popular, another daughter church of the church El Jordan which we visited and introduced ourselves at on Sunday night. We led worship with Miguel (Mike) on the guitar and the rest of us on vocals, singing Spanish praise songs! Lidia helped us introduce ourselves in Spanish and translated for us when our Spanish ran out! Richard gave a brief testimony in Spanish and then the group presented the story of the Good Samaritan through the medium of mime!! Wendy and Miguel then gave some teaching on what it means to love your neighbour from Luke 10:25-37.

All in all the evening went very well and we were so thankful to God for guiding us at all times. There was even the opportunity to pray for some of the local people who were ill and we´re trusting God that he´ll do amazing things in that community by His Spirit.

Today we will be buying paint for the church in Los Vergeles which has roughly 300metres squared of unpainted walls - guess what next weeks task will be for the group...!! And tonight we will be leading the meeting in Valle de la Flor where we cleared the land yesterday.

Again your prayer are and will be much appreciated for all that we´re doing here.

Dios os bendiga,
The Team xx

Advertisement



8th July 2009

Well done!
Glad to hear all going well and your hard work and church visits are proceeding as expected.Pray you all keep well and the painting is succesfull.
8th July 2009

Great to hear your news. It brings back many happy memories of our own time in South America. Sounds like you are busy. You are in our thoughts and prayers, but we head off tomorrow and so will be out of contact. May you continue to know the Lord's blessing and strength. Love, Peter, Jane, Ruth and Tim
8th July 2009

Good to hear No2
Hi to all QPBC Team Ecuador.Sorry not to be very inspired re - Comment Title! Very good to know you had such a good meeting in El Jordan and I am impressed that Richard gave even a short testimony in Spanish. Well done boy-o, and I look forward to hearing that the sick folk you all prayed for are at least improved or at best healed. It is really good to keep up with your day to day activities. Unfortunately I cannot see how to access the photos so haven't as yet actually seen what you are up to. Will be praying for you all at the evening meeting tonight. In that respect it is good that you are behind us time wise.All for now. Much love, Angela.
9th July 2009

Keep up the good work.
Hi team. Glad to read that things are going well. What is the temperature like? Well done for clearing the ground in record time (couldn't find the photo you referred to) and glad that you enjoyed "smapling" the local delicacies! We are in Dallas Texas right now and are about to head off tomorrow on our road trip. No clearing of ground, or painting of walls in sight (although Graeme has been fixing a broken wooden chair while he's here). Great to be able to keep up to date with how you're all getting on. We will continue to keep you in our prayers. Love G and E.
9th July 2009

Machetes and "Missiones"
Delighted to hear all arrived safely and to read what you are doing. Stay healthy, have fun, and I am sure God will bless your endeavours. Am praying for your all. Ann Archibald
10th July 2009

Postings for 9th and 10th
Although it says there are reports for the 9th and 10th the latest one I have here is for the 8th. Why do you think that is? Angela Workman
10th July 2009

Great to get your blog
Just realised I could follow your trip on line. It's great to hear your news. Keep up the good work. May God make your time very fruitful in the community and in your own lives. Bless you, Lenna

Tot: 1.456s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb