Back in BA


Advertisement
South America
April 3rd 2009
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A lot has happened over since we have arrived, last week was a national holiday to mark the rise of democracy after the dirty war of the 70s, there were lots of protests against the current government which are not liked for letting the economy slide and friendly stance with the states. Then the ex president dies and there were 3 days of national mourning while his body laid in state and people queued for hours to pay their respects. Also the day he was buried was a national holiday to honour the soldiers who died in the Falklands conflict, more protests this time from ex servicemen who get no pension. We felt a bit weird that day being English and not knowing how the land lay, but got chatting to a local lady who said it is a good thing that everyone comes out and talks about it as it helps heal the wounds. Also how nobody really held any grudges againt English peole as they realise it was 2 power hungry prime ministers both battling for re-election that caused all the mayhem, both wanted a win to enhance their reputation. She said the rivalry at the football is more apparant, so that made us feel better. We certainly have experienced no hostility and found everyone to be very freindly and welcoming, and they love to chat. Claire and James are now here and we all did a big bike ride through the city with a guide. Found out some history and went to a lot of different neighbourhoods, including La Boca which is quite dangerous, we cycled past La Bombenera the football ground, which is immense, I was loving it, until Becks noticed that a car was driving alongside us at the same speed with 2 men just staring at us. I tried to play it cool by looking at the ground, but ws a bit worried, thankfully after about 50 yards they sped up and drove off, but think you could get in bother if not careful. There are only really 2 safe streets in the whole neighbourhood, I think as we had a guide we were OK though. The cycling was great took about 5 hours but got to see all the city. Went out that night for steaks, a place called Cabrerra had been recommened so off we went. We had to wait an hour to get in but my god it was worth it. We all ordered half a steak each, but they are massive, seriously about 3 times the size of an english steak, they also bring you loads of side orders for free........................i know a lot of people who would have been in heaven, me being a lightweight though coluld only manage about half, but it is seriously good stuff, then we got a little drunk in Palermo, good night all round. We are off to Rosario next and Claire and James to Pellegrini, all to meet up at Iguazu for the waterfalls...............................Oh nearly forgot, on Weds night Argentina lost 6-1 to Bolivia, that was funny, there were a lot of pissed off Argentines out that night.......................

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb