Day 2 at Iguaçu Falls (Argentina)


Advertisement
South America
December 18th 2008
Published: December 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Argentina Iguazu Falls

1) Started in Foz do Iguacu where we stayed 2) Crossed the Argentine boarder on the river 3) Our tour guide drove us down "RA 12" to the "RA 101" into the Argentine side of the falls

Additional maps: The walk to Devil's Throat

Approaching "Garganta del Diablo"Approaching "Garganta del Diablo"Approaching "Garganta del Diablo"

The "Devil's Throat" is extraodinary - unless you're Lily. She thought it was a great time for a nap!
Day 2 at Iguaçu took us across the border into the land of Brazil’s fierce soccer rivals - Argentina. I immediately thought of a couple Argentines, Walter Ortiz and my co-worker Leticia as we drove into the small town of “Puerto Iguazu” bombarded by the blue and white Argentine colors. Although Brazil dominates on the soccer field, it pains me to have to give the nod to Argentina for the better view of the falls.

The highlight was a close up view of the aforementioned "Garganta del Diablo" (Devil’s Throat). This is a section at the heart of the falls where the largest volume of water converges. The water crashes down a concave wall with such force and volume as it converges in a white foam, it renders the bottom of the falls non-visible. Absolutely stunning! Somehow, Lily managed to nap through this entire portion of the trip.

We escaped the land of the Argentines back to Brazil to visit a famous bird park (Parque das Aves). I imagine this is where Fruit Loop’s did their commercial filming. I’ve never seen so many Toucans in my life! Amy and Daniel had the pleasure of holding and petting a boa
The Devil's ThroatThe Devil's ThroatThe Devil's Throat

This is worth the trip
constrictor.

We returned to the hotel and took a dip in the pool. Little Lily entertained the vacationers with her splashing and joyous screeching. She did not want to leave! The impression was so strong that she decided to add her 15th word to her spoken vocabulary, “POOL!”

The kids have held up fairly well. They are about halfway into working through the 6-hour time zone change, falling asleep at 10-11pm and waking up a 7:30 am. To make up for some of the lost sleep at night they have napped rather well in strollers.

Next up: Salvador, Bahia where we look forward to a relaxing beach resort stay with an all-inclusive buffet arrangement. How am I supposed to lose weight with all this great food! We look forward to visiting the home of Brazil’s first capital city with its rich history and Bahian culture!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Mom and Pop Mom and Pop
Mom and Pop

It's been an incredible blessing to have my parents with us. They've made traveling with Daniel and Lily MUCH easier.
A close up view of the fallsA close up view of the falls
A close up view of the falls

These are the falls we had a panoramic view of at the start of our hike on the Brazilian side. They're even more impressive up close!
Pop, Daniel, and a Little FriendPop, Daniel, and a Little Friend
Pop, Daniel, and a Little Friend

A butterfly landed on Daniel's hat after our hike back from the Devil's Throat. I love my dad's expression in this photo - can't say the same about his hat though!
Lily cools off at the Bird ParkLily cools off at the Bird Park
Lily cools off at the Bird Park

Lily had a blast (literally & figuratively!) with a "cool zone" type fan at the "Parque das Aves" (Bird park).
Amy, Daniel, & a BoaAmy, Daniel, & a Boa
Amy, Daniel, & a Boa

Daniel was a bit timid, but Amy helped him feel more comfortable. Amy has a picture in her childhood room handling a snake as a girl. She hasn't lost a step!
Uel, the kids, & a parrotUel, the kids, & a parrot
Uel, the kids, & a parrot

Daniel gave me a good scare by attempting to touch the bird's tail. We were all (bird included) lucky to escape undamaged!
Lily loves parrots tooLily loves parrots too
Lily loves parrots too

Lilly attempts to lose a finger as her mother smiles in approval.


24th December 2008

WOW!!
Every single picture is breathtaking!! I can't imagine being there in person.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb