Winter in La Paz


Advertisement
South America
December 19th 2006
Published: December 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I thought we were getting away from the cold weather.....seems we´ve spent more time in cold climes so far! Today we had snow...OK so we were standing on the side of a mountain 5300m above sea level, but at least it´s Christmas!

It started with an hour and a half´s drive along some of the worse roads I have ever seen...a 25km journey. We arrived up the mountain of Chacaltaya, once the highest ski-slope in the world. However, due to the effects of global warming, the glacier is melting at an alarming rate, and the prediction is that by 2010-2015 it will be gone.

The ski lodge was nothing to write home about, really gone to pot, but the views at the top were stunning. We only walked a short way, but due to the altitude it was hard work, worth it though to see the beautifull turquoise and red lakes, Huayna Potosi´s snow capped peaks of over 6000m in the distance, La Paz (just!) amongst the clouds, and even condors soaring overhead. An amazing place.

So, as I said, it started out fine, good conditions, not too cold, a bit of sunshine even....however, the clouds soon rolled in, and before we knew it, on our way back, it began to snow. Lightly at first, then icey snow; ouch!! We had to go quite slowly due to the slate/scree under foot (which Pierre would have shipped home for our new kitchen floor if he could!), so when we got back to the ski lodge we were pretty cold...and there was no heating!!!! They don´t believe in it here, I´m sure...Bolivian´s must be hard as nails.

Anyway, we´re toughening up.....of to warmer climes tomorrow!!! Santa Cruz for Christmas, 6 days on an organic farm, should be wonderful. We´ll have our own little lodge, with hammocks and BBQ...Pierre will be in heaven.

Well, I don´t know if there will be internet service there, so this may be our last blog uintil after Christmas. Feliz Navidad (happy christmas) to you all, and look forward to recieving all our presents....address La Vispera, Samaipata, Santa Cruz, Bolivia...........😉


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb