Goodbye Peru...


Advertisement
Bolivia's flag
South America » Bolivia » La Paz Department » Copacabana
December 15th 2006
Published: December 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Happy Friday.

We have both enjoyed the last few days relaxing. Following our arrival in Arequipa we checked into another buget hostal and following one night promptly decided to check out and look for better accomodation. We strayed into a lovley hotel, with fresh white cotton sheets on a bed the size of our flat. It also had cable tv, pool, etc and whilst a bit price, was worth every penny. Who said this travelling stuff had to be on a shoestring anyway..

After a few days by the pool soaking up the sun we decided to move to Puno, which is by Lake Titicaca. A 6 hour bus ride later we arrived in the town. This was purely a functional jump point to visit the lake and to get across the boarder into Bolivia.

The lake is lovely. We negotiated a boat ride to visit the floating islands, which are made out of bouyant reeds that are found all around the shallow areas of the lake. The islands are being continually replenished from the top as the reeds rot from the bottom. Whilst we we on one of the islands the inhabitants asked for our help in moving one of the timber and reed houses into place on top of a fresh pile of reeds. I was happy to help.... Not to sure if the siting, design, bulk form or massing of the property was entirely appropriate, but not at work now so live and let live...

The following day we booked a bus to Bolivia. I have to say i was a little nervous about our first South American boarder crossing. Visions of rubber gloves and me holding my ankles sprang to mind, but all was fine. We were customerily stung for the 1 bolivio tax (no such thing) but it seemed easier to pay than to get the phrase book out to tell the chap to go forth and multiply, especially since there are 16 Bolivios to the Pound... I know ... I know...principles, but what can I say I am a gringo.

We are now in the town of Copacabana by lake Titicaca on the Bolivian side. We have just come back from the beech where they sell fresh trout from the lake...Yum.. Mike you would love it.

Tomorrow we are off to the Isla de Sol, the mythical birthplace of the Inca civilisation.

Photos to follow as I downloaded the camera memory to disc, which is in our hotel, so will add photos soon...



Advertisement



23rd December 2006

Amazon order confirmation: One kilo of bolivian marching powder...
Those images of rubber gloves and firmly gripped ankles reminded me of your eighteenth, young man. Ahhh, those heady Barrovian summers... I really think you should return to the floating island and ask to see the paperwork and planning application for a 'type 4c dwelling transfer' - Remember, Dowsett, you are British, and we are all responsible for the Queen's standards being maintained, dear boy. Even if it is Johnny Foreigner... While you're at it, get a bloody refund from the cheeky chappie who overcharged you eightpence, and soundly thrash him to boot. Can't have standards slipping, what. M

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb