Day 103 - First Beach Day in 3 Months of Travelling!


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So after our purchase of dry bread for breakfast (and lunch, again) we hung around for our boat to depart (South American 9:30 turning into 10:15). Four couples already in the boat, we coasted the shoreline until the boat was full to capacity (5 kids, parents and grandparents!) Today was the Saturday of the Venezuelan bank holiday weekend for Independence Day and the beach was full of national holiday goers.

On our way through the waters of Mochima National Park, we soon caught sight of a dolphin, then two, then five or six of them swimming together. The children squealed and we tried (and failed) to catch a photo. Very happy with that.

After an hour we were dropped at a beach, deserted, with water so clear you didn't need a snorkel to see the fish. Nonetheless we fancied a swim further out to catch sight of something more interesting, but the snorkels and masks provided were not attached and also leaked water. There were no flippers. Snorkelling plans dashed we exploited the cloudless day and caught some sun, confused when the boat loaded up all the children and their family and drove off without a word. We made our way over but the driver told us and the other 3 couples that he'd be back for us at 4 o'clock. It was 11:30am. Thank God it didn't rain today else it would have been miserable. The full day of sunshine was glorious, but by about 3pm we were all exhausted from the scorching hot sun and sea, especially with no books. Chris and I improvised a game of bat and ball with his flip flops and an apple from the tree on the beach, until a lady took pity on us and leant us her real bat and ball.

We returned to a welcome cold shower and enjoyed more fresh fish and calamares with Sonja and Fredrick. Bliss.

Chris's Corner

Not quite the tour of the national park we had expected, more of being dumped ion the middle of nowhere with no facilities in the exposed sun... perfect for my super white skin! The only shade available had fish bones, rotten fruit fallen from the tree and an abundance of bugs and ants, perfect. So in and out of the water all day to stay cool, but we definitely got our day on the beach
.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb