WILD LLANOS


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Guayana » Ciudad Bolívar
April 8th 2005
Published: December 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

From our campsite in Boa Vista we drove to the border and crossed into Venezuela via Santa Elena de Uairen, a small frontier town, that is also where we got our entry stamp, i think we have to bribe some people so we got delayed a bit, from there we drove to the Gran Sabana where the view is just spectacular, we stopped by a waterfall which was crap cause it hasnt rained for awhile, then off to Ciudad Bolivar to camp. It is so hot here, seems like nothing to do at all, good thing our camp had a swimming pool. From here we organized our 3 days trip to Canaima where we will see Angel Falls. We flew on a small plane and the pilot was really cool and made this maneuvers to let us have a good view of Salto Angel again the view was amazing. The water is brownish tan in the lagoon, nice hiking and lots of swimming. The girls were chuckling because i fell asleep on the plane both ways and was snoring out loud, poor Pete he had to put up with the noise for 2 nights! From here we continued on to Los LLanos to see some wildlife. It was really hot here as well and seems very remote, our camp is next to an almost dried up river full of Caimans, and you see them sunning on the banks, too close for comfort for me so i slept in the hammock just in case. We went piranha fishing in one of our trips and ate them as well, pretty tasty actually, the highlight was the anaconda hunting where thay gave you sticks and have you wade in the muck . I am terrified of snakes so i immediately passed on this adventure, just happy to watch my friends from a distance as they try and hunt for the giants, halfway accross we noticed something was moving next to Vicky, soon as we pointed it to her, she jumped a mile and started screaming, while our guide tagged on it and yanked the poor fella from the mud, i felt bad that we have to do that, i mean had a photo with the anacondas and all and they say we are not harming them but we are disturbing it's peace so pretty glad it was over quickly, we have to rush out as it was getting really dark, rain is coming, next day i was persuaded by the Danish girls to join horse riding , let me tell you i was not a big fan, i was miffed too i got the plastic saddle and my boys were hurting every time the horse straddles and gallops, thanks Olie for lending me your pants, and as you see i had them washed when we got to Merida.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb