Uruguay


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
April 23rd 2009
Published: April 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hmmm yeah, not much I can say about Uruguay, but I'll try.

We got the ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento, a nice little town full of cobbled streets and spent the day wondering around. We sat and watched the sunset, which was applauded when the sun disappeared under the horizon!?

The next day we moved on to Montevideo, Uruguay's capital, and spent another day just wondering around. The cities mix of ugly office blocks, crumbling old buildings and sunny, palm tree lined streets was nice but not enough to keep us their any longer. So we got an early morning bus out to Uruguay's most expensive and exclusive beach resort, Punta del Este.

Punta del Este was a massive disappointment. The beaches were small and the sea dirty. Maybe spending time in Brazil and Australia has raised our expectations as to what a good beach should but neither of us could understand why the rich would want to spend time here. Surly they could afford to go some where nice!

Expecting the worse, we headed further along the coast to a small town called La Paloma. From here we visited the next town over, La Pedrera, which is a pleasant little surfer town and to the highlight of our time in Uryguay, Cabo Polonio.

Cabo Polonio is a little fishing village nestled in amongst sand dunes. It's home to a large Sea Loin colony and has a lighthouse too. However the best thing about it is the 4WD buses that take you from the bus stop, over the dunes to the beaches.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1098s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb