Buenos Aires


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Buenos Aires
April 12th 2009
Published: April 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Aires came as a busy and vibrant change to the small towns and villages we had become used to. After settling into our hostel and meeting up with an old friend of Tracy's, we spent our first night in the city feasting on huge beef steaks.

The next morning Tracy woke up to find she had been eaten alive by bedbugs. Pulling back the sheets uncovered loads of them, fat with Tracy's blood, running from the light. We gathered 30 or so up and showed them to the hostel staff who arranged a new, private room for us and washed all our clothes free of charge.

Once that drama had been resolved we headed out to the Recoleta cemetery where some of the countries rich and famous dead people now reside. Then on to La Boca where today's poorer residents live. To finish the day off we feasted on beef steaks, again.

Another day and another area of Buenos Aires to explore. This time we went to Congresso where political buildings rub shoulders with old theaters. A group of students where protesting outside the Palacio del Congreso but according to the locals we speak to this is a very common occurrence. That evening we signed up for a 'Tango Experience' and after a brief demonstration, we had an hours lesson on how to Tango before being taken to an old fashioned Tango club (Milonga) to put what we had learnt into practice.

The next day we went on a political walking tour which took us to the site of police torture chambers and the workers building here the body of Evita was displayed for three years before being stolen. We ended up in San Telmo. It was like being in Paris with all the cafes and street side antique stalls.

A trip to Buenos Aires wouldn't be complete without seeing some football. We tried to get tickets to a Boca Juniors game but the price was way to high, so we opted for a local derby between Racing and River. The atmosphere was jumping and drumming and singing never stopped. The game was very close with both teams playing superb attacking football. Now I know why England always lose to Argentina.

On our last day in Buenos Aires we visited the worlds first religious theme park, Tierra Santa. The Middle East had been recreated in South America complete with a 16 meter Jesus which rises from the dead every hour.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Football in Buenos AiresFootball in Buenos Aires
Football in Buenos Aires

The referee is a what??


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb