A Nice Change of Pace


Advertisement
Published: July 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well we finally made it to a second country! Take that Chile and your stupid snow...

Linda and Ewan were heading downtown Buenos Aires so we even got a lift to our hostel. Not near as nice as Milhouse where we stayed when we first arrived, and the location was the pits. But we went for a long walk right down the waterfront through Puerto Madero past all the swanky restaurants and boats and things. Very nice walk. Got the boat dock and picked up our tickets to Uruguay, then trudged back to the hostel through the Florida shopping strip. It was craziness, people EVERYWHERE, people tangoing, singing, a million little shops. Full of life these Argentines are. The hostel we stayed in wasn´t in the best of neighbourhoods so we ventured across the street for supper (More steak!) and then straight to bed.

Uruguay is very nice so far. We took a 3 hour ferry ride first thing this morning across the Rio de la Plata (it takes 3 hours to cross a RIVER on a ferry - crazy) from Buenos Aires to the small town of Colonia, Uruguay. Marine Atlantic can learn from these people. Fast boarding, beautiful boat.... and CHEAP! Not much to see here but it´s one of the oldest towns in South America and is a UNESCO world heritage site. Very cute cobbly streets, old buildings, a cool lighthouse I climbed to the top of but Jacq was too afraid to do... Then that was pretty much it. Not a whole lot to do. So we rented some scooters for an hour (only a few dollars, very cheap!) and took a little drive down the coast. It was very fun, and they go pretty fast! Being safe of course, don´t want those motherly types back at home getting all worried...

And we´re being extra viligent about our bags. No more robberies for us thank you very much... Stupid Mendoza...

We had some delicious ice cream this afternoon for a buck and now we´re thinking about what to do for supper. Not much else to do around here. We´ve got bus tickets to Punta del Este further up the coast tomorrow morning so hopefully by this time tomorrow we´ll be chillaxin´on the beach!


Advertisement



11th July 2006

We've been following you guys around. You have much more patience than I do for the long bus rides. I'd be hopping old planes back and forth everywhere! Mapquest is pretty good, it seems to have most of all these little places you mention. First time I ever looked at Uruguay on a map...it appears you're heading straight though Motevideo tomorrow as well...very interesting trip.

Tot: 0.379s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb