Back At It


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires
July 10th 2006
Published: July 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We're going to say goodbye to the MacDonald clan and Hurlingham today and head back downtown to Buenos Aires. We're planning on spending a night downtown so we can catch a 900 ferry to Colonia, Uruguay on Tuesday morning. From there we hope to get to Montevideo and the beach near Punta del Este as well. One week until we head home! The last two weeks have flown having such a good time. It will be nice to breathe some fresh Newfie air again though and sleep in my own bed. (and not wake each other up with our snoring hahah)

On Saturday afternoon Ewan, Linda and Kate took us to this fabulous Brazilian restaurant on the riverfront close to downtown. It's kindof like a buffet. There's a huge salad bar with all kinds of salads and things where you eat all you want. Then different waiters go around with these huge skewers, each one with a different kind of meat on it. If you want some they just cut you off a piece and put it on your plate. We had a few different kinds of steak, beef ribs, pork ribs, beef THYMUS (very weird but I tried it anyways), rabbit, chicken... a few others maybe - I don't recall. Either way it was excellent, and we ate so much that was the only meal we had that day. The Argentines (the -tine is TYNES not TEENS like many people at home say) love eating huge meals around 3pm, then going for a nap for a few hours, then getting up and having another meal around 9 or 10, then staying up half the night. We've been on the go to bed around 10 and get up at 7 schedule so we are totally off kilter!

Then yesterday Ewan and Linda had a BBQ like they do every Sunday afternoon. Now I always thought that we had good BBQs at my house but man... do they know how to cook a feast. They have a HUGE outdoor grill and we ate even more than we did at the restaurant on Saturday if that's even possible... Then of course we had to watch the World Cup Final which I didn't think was very good. Neither team seemed to play very well, and its stupid when it comes down to penalty shots. (I know sooooo much about football too so you know my opinion is worth something).

Then last night around 10 Jamie (my second cousin) said he wanted McDonald's. So off the 4 of us 'kids' went to McDonalds and to Blockbuster to rent a movie. It could have been Newfoundland I swear, all these chains are exactly the same everywhere. It's interesting to spend time with people who grew up in Argentina, have a Scottish father and an English mother. The accents are unique (altho I think they had more trouble with ours than we with theirs).

Anyways we made it home to watch the movie Jarhead which started out surprisingly funny but kinda went on forever and bored us all to sleep by the end.

So here we are this morning gettin ready to head back to the train station to head downtown and resume our travels after a much-deserved break for a few days. Thanks so much to the MacDonald's for putting us up these two nights. If you're ever in Newfoundland you know who to call!

That's all for now folks.

Advertisement



11th July 2006

Hang on to your bag
Keep your bag at your side all the time and keep your eyes on alert. Be safe. Take care, Love Mom

Tot: 0.328s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb