Colonia, Uruguay a perfect getaway from the city


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Katharine and I decided to head to Colonia, a little town in Uruguay for the weekend.
We left on a friday evening by the fast ferry/boat called 'Buquebus' which was the most luxurious ferry I have ever sat on.

I made us a little picnic basket and we had a nice 1.5 hour ride to Colonia eating blue cheese and pesto salad and sipping wine.....

...We checked into Posada Los Pinos, a little cozy bed and breakfast located in the centre of town.
It came with breakfast and would have been perfect if not for the scanty looking toilet and a few bed bugs from the blankets!

Katharine had been to Colonia earlier this year and knew the place and became my personal tour guide over the next 2 days.

Colonia, a little town of streets laden with cobbled stones and buildings with a colonial and historic facade left us feeling a little nostalgic as we meandered along the streets of this charming and pretty place.

We ate great food and drank really nice wine over the next few days. Had the best "sorrentinos" (something like ravioli but bigger) at one of the many cafes here.
Buquebus Buquebus Buquebus

The luxurious boat to Colonia

Buquebus
The luxurious boat to Colonia

On the last day, we rented a car for the day and drove through the vast and green countryside.
Took a tour around Estancia Anchorena. This Estancia one of the main National Park's in Uruguay is more than a hundred years old and is home to acres and acres of land filled various species of trees and vegetation including animals that roam wild in the open and green pastures.
I would certainly recommend this place for the weekend as Katharine and I had an amazing and relaxing weekend away from busy Buenos Aires...





Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BuquebusBuquebus
Buquebus

....our own picnic on board...
Posada Los PinosPosada Los Pinos
Posada Los Pinos

the little quaint poasada where we stayed...
ColoniaColonia
Colonia

Kat at a local cafe in Colonia
Colonia Colonia
Colonia

view from the top of the light house
Sunset in ColoniaSunset in Colonia
Sunset in Colonia

....beautiful sunset and pic taken by Katharine..
Estancia AnchorenaEstancia Anchorena
Estancia Anchorena

....the light house in Estancia


5th June 2007

HEJ EDGAR
COLONIA LOOKS REALLY NICE ALSO THE PICNIC BASKET JAJAJA AND AS ALWAYS NICE PICS.... KEEP HAVING FUN SALUDOS DESDE PLAYA DEL CARMEN!! MARIO
19th June 2007

Hi Edgar! good to see u back in action. Uruguay looks cool. Wine is good for the body. drink lots of fluids. Take care. Say hi 2 Kat fom me. ENJOY!!!!!

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 16; qc: 81; dbt: 0.1222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb