Tandil...the town that Rocks and Roll


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina » Buenos Aires » Tandil
May 30th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

TandilTandilTandil

chimney at 39 Belgrano B & B
Well, there is a catch to the title "the town that rocks and rolls" and it has to do with the history and what this town is proud of.......
Tandil is a town located 6 hours away by bus from Buenos Aires and is well known for its beautiful countryside, its rocking rock and not forgetting its tasty cheeses.

For the long public holiday weekend, Katharine, Emily and I decided to visit Tandil and take time out to get some fresh air, hike a little and indulge in some gourmet lip smacking cheese.

We left on a Thursday evening by bus and learnt an important lesson about leaving town in the evening.
Don't! It took us an hour just to move 3 km's and what a long ride it turned out to be.

We were however rewarded, when we checked into a bed and breakfast place which we had booked earlier.
It was cozy, clean, very English (of course) well maintained and had a gorgeous landscape with a pool.
We chose the Tower block which had a huge bed up on the loft and two beds at the bottom.
We had our own pantry stocked with homemade marmalade and yoghurt, ham, cheese, fruits, cookies, cereal, butter, coffee, tea, fresh juice, prunes......in short, WE were very impressed and happy.

39 Belgrano B & B (http://www.cybertandil.com.ar/byb/ingles.htm.) is run by Judy and Michael and English couple who have lived in Argentina for well over 40 years. They were extremely hospitable during our stay and on our last night, we were invited over to their abode for some cocktails and homemade tid bits in particular lamb pate which was so rich and smooth.

Our first day saw us hiking all day through the countryside, breathing in the cold fresh air and soaking in the peace and quiet. It was really cold in Tandil. Fortunately we were blessed with blue skies and lots of sunshine throughout the three days we were there.

The next day, we visited the famous rocking rock that the town is famous for and proud of. It was a copy (which was just installed a week before we arrived) of the original rock that fell in the 1912. They spent 1.5 million pesos for a rock that was made from fiberglass! After climbing up to the rock, we took a ride on the cable car/seat up
Tandil Tandil Tandil

Our little home for the weekend at 39 Belgrano B & B
a
hill to watch the sunset.

On our first night, we had dinner at the famous 'Epoca de Quesos' a restaurant with a little delicatessen at the side selling a smorgasbord of cheeses and cold cuts of sausages, salami and other interesting looking meats.
The restaurant itself feels like a home which gave us that cozy and feel good ambience. We ordered a mix selection of "picadas" which are little bite size bits of cheese's and cold cuts of meats with bread and washed it down with loads of wine. We finished off the night with some shots of lemonchelo liquor which was homemade and really delicious. It made a perfect ending to our night...

We found another delightful restaurant on our last night which was opened in the home of a lady and it was called "Aqui No Es" which meant "it is not here" in Spanish. We thought it was such an interesting name for a restaurant. We had suck a wicked time at this place, in someone's living room with food that had a touch of East and West. Lots of Malbec wine and a few shots of Sambuca was super until the next morning................"England"
TandilTandilTandil

39 Belgrano Bed and Breakfast
had a hangover....Katharine and Emily felt rough but made it back home to Buenos Aires after what turned out to be a real rock and roll of a weekend for all of us....

Tandil has loads to do and unfortunately we had little time. We would definitely have to come back again, perhaps in the summer and cycle through the countryside or ride a horse and maybe even skydive.









Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Tandil Tandil
Tandil

shadows by day...
TandilTandil
Tandil

Reservoir...
TandilTandil
Tandil

fall....Leaves in beautiful crimson orange..
TandilTandil
Tandil

..hiking up in hills.....the three musketeers
TandilTandil
Tandil

...a little bit of nature up close and personal...
Tandil Tandil
Tandil

....can you see a shadow of a bull on these rock formations?....
TandilTandil
Tandil

.....the countryside just makes you want to dance.....oh yeah..
Tandil Tandil
Tandil

Emily in action
TandilTandil
Tandil

...a random owl perched on a log at the side of the road. We all have not seen an owl in the wild before.....it even did a head roll 360deg turn!
Tandil Tandil
Tandil

...the remake of the original rocking rock which is made from fibreglass....
TandilTandil
Tandil

Me and Kat watching the sunset..
TandilTandil
Tandil

...sun setting up in the hills
TandilTandil
Tandil

....cheese and lots of cheese
TandilTandil
Tandil

....cheese and lots of cheese


12th July 2007

RATS
all this cheese n no rats! Where r the rats? This place should be heaven 4 them1 Take care.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb