Punta del Este


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » East » Punta del Este
January 9th 2007
Published: January 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hola folks,

Hope everyone is doing well, and had a happy New Years. All is well with me, and the rest of my soul-searching traveling companions. Its been a few days since my last update, so I'll try to recount to the best of my memory. We spent New Years in Buenos Aires which was hands down some of the most insane hours of the trip. We left our hostel around 11 in search of dinner, only to have walked into what seemed like an evening in Baghdad. Every street, every corner, every sidewalk, was filled with kids shooting fire works. Not the, "hey its New Years lets light some sparklers" variety. Im talking rockets, cherry bombs, M-80´s, all the good stuff. Ten year old kids shooting fireworks at each other. Three year olds lighting bottle rockets...no idea where there parents were. Kids shooting stuff out of Coke bottles...no aim...just light, run, and see where it lands. Sometimes they would fire up, sometimes down the street, sometimes at our ankles. But always exploding and echoing loudly through the streets. It was absolutely absurd, and deafening. I can't stress enough, how it was literally, every single street corner. After temporary hearing loss, and flash backs from my days in "nom", we finally found an open restaurant. For some reason, everything was closed that night...perhaps the shop owners knew something we didnt in regards to the artillery fire. We ended up eating at extremely mediocre Cuban place, which included a female entertainer singing Spanish disco type songs...I really could have done without that part. It was certainly an evening I wont forget anytime soon.

Buenos Aires in general is pretty cool. We had some of our best meals on the trip at this amazing parilla (bbq restaurant), which was good enough for us to eat in two out of five nights in BA. But after spending several nights in a sweltering hostel (no AC and what felt like 100 degrees), it was time for us to move on. We boarded a bus on January 2nd and headed south about five hours to a town called, Pinamar. This was a great beach town, lots of good restaurants, lots of good looking girls, and very laid back...my kinda place. We spent two nights there and then decided to head up to Uruguay, because Centor's time in South America was winding down. So we hoped back on the five hour bus to BA and then boarded the one hour ferry to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay.

Unable to get to Montevideo (capital of Uruguay) that day, we just sort of stumbled across Colonia. I'm glad we did, because this was also one of the coolest towns we have visited. Its a very small town with cobble stone streets and a really cool harbor area. The city was settled by the Portuguese in the 1600´s, and sits directly across the bay from Buenos Aires. We spent only one night in Colonia and then took a bus to Montevideo and then connected to Punta del Este.

We have been in Punta del Este, Uruguay (resort town) since yesterday and are heading back to Montevideo tomorrow afternoon. Punta del Este is very upscale, and very expensive, but has some of the most ridiculous girls I have ever seen. Today we sat all-day on a beach called, Bikini Beach...the rest I'll just leave to the imagination...and no I was not wearing a Speedo. I like Punta del Este, but I really feel that it's a bit overrated as far as the city itself goes. Personally I liked Pinamar, Argentina a lot more.

Centor leaves us on the 11th and Craig and I are going to head back to Buenos Aires and try to get a flight down to Ushuaia, Argentina (the southernmost city in South America). We then plan to work our way back up through Patagonia and the lake district to Bariloche, Argentina. Then we'll most likely go back to Mendoza and then up to Iguazu Falls. From there we will have only a few weeks left before Carnival, and will most likely spend that time exploring Brazil. Just a quick update, as we have now passed the one month barrier of our travels.

Anyways, again, hope everyone is doing well.

Until next time...

Advertisement



9th January 2007

Marc What an amazing trip you are on. I love hearing all you are doing and where you have been. All I can say is thank G-d it's you and not me. Just kidding. Please stay safe, be careful and keep having the time of your life!!!!!!!
11th January 2007

Serpentine
Hey next time some kid's are firing exploding things at your feet just remember what Barney told Goober to do in such a circumstance...

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1261s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb