Crazy Out-Loud Uruguayans


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -34.8939, -56.1568

This family is hysterical.

I LOVE THEM.

We make a quick dash-in-and-out at the house after class because Mateo's had a high fever and we are really not wanting to get sick. We're on our way to the travel agent's office who's handling our last three days in Uruguay. We only have three days left of class, then three days of touring before we head for Argentina.

But oh no, not so quick.

This random woman meets us in the hall with kisses ands hug and so-nice-to-meet-you's and Andrea dashes past us with, "this is really important and the woman asks,

You'regoingtoMercedes?

What?

YOU'REGOINGTOMERCEDES? Louder. Her face is inches from mine.

Mercedes? I ask.

We're blank.

Ok. Head clears. This is English.

You're. going. to. Mercedes. ?

Oh no, Bob answers and starts in on our itinerary of going to Frey Bentos, yadda yadda.

Mercedes? My mind goes...Click!

Yes, we hope to, I answer. I explain to Bob: Mercedes is this little town next to Frey Bentos Andrea was telling us about.

Oh.

Ok, random woman says excitedly. THIS IS WHAT YOU DO.

Who IS this woman and why is she shouting at us in whispers. Mateo's sleeping--can't get a good shout out.

The Rowing Club is evidently WHAT WE DO. The Rowing Club in Mercedes is THE place to eat. We MUST go there.More kisses, More hugs. More smiles. We're outta there.

Wheu.

That was Andrea's sister.

Oh, but that's not all. Hours later we're back at the house and Mateo excitedly calls to us, veni, veni, (come in here right this minute!) but of course we don't want to because this kid is a sick-o and cute as he is it is T.R.O.U.B.L.E. if we get sick now. So we avoid kid by heading to our room.

Doesn't last long though as Nala comes and gets us. Says we have to come to Matoe's room for un poquito--a small moment. Ok, now amongst the jumbo lego people are really animated.

Nala's beside herself excited. Alejandra (Andrea's sister has a name now) says....the rest is lost in translation as Mateo takes over.

Shouting and jumping up and down he's telling something he's obviously very happy to be sharing but although the kid speaks very clearly, I just don't know those words.

Nala can see Mateo's not getting the job done so she adds to the din by repeating his words LOUDER and throwing in some creative hand gestures.

Bob's in the bathroom missing all of this full volume jumping up and down shouting excitement and I'm just standing there not able to believe my ears and eyes when Andrea sees the two of them are simply not up to the task.

Los animales, the animals, pops out of the ruckus and I figure they're talking about a zoo we have to see. Noooooo, Nala says in frustration and makes a slashing sign across her neck and stuffs three fingers down her throat.

This clearly is no zoo.

This is a kill 'em and eat 'em kind of place.

Close.

Un fabrica antigua. Un museum.

We have to go to a meat packing museum?

No, no. That's the landmark. You go to the restaurant NEXT to the meat packing museum. Best food in town.

Listen, I promise I'll go anywhere you say if you'll just stop with the jumping and shouting and slashing and stuffing.

I've never seen these people so excited.

That's Alejandra for you. Can't wait to get to know this one. The entire family has been ratcheted up 6 notches by her arrival back home (she's been traveling with a symphony for 2 months).

I promise to do everything they say and escape to our room. Where the heck is Bob during all this?????

Andrea dashes in with a note--a very large note--that Alejandra has written to us.

Her best friend lives in Frey Bentos and she'll call him and get recommendations for where we should go and she's very happy we're going to Mercedes.

Bet you can't wait to hear how this one plays out, can you?

Advertisement



27th January 2010

Sounds exciting!!
28th January 2010

Karen, It is so much fun reading your travel. And pictures are great. What a time you and Bob are having. Looks like great weather. Glad your health is good and hope it stays. You keep us laughing. I am sure you well never forget what y
ou see this trip. Thank you for keeping us up to date! Stay safe * Well,Love, Judie & Allen
28th January 2010

And I thought YOU were amped up!What a hoot! Mitch
28th January 2010

Wow, what an exciting adventure! This is GREAT, and I will definatley keep up with your travels. Sounds like you having a wonderful time, and that's what is important. I checked the box where it sates to notify me when new comments are
posted. Enjoy your travels, and I will keep update; on your new adventures, and the daily sites, and people you meet along the way. Have a great time.Kelli
28th January 2010

Thanks guys. LOVE your comments! Keep 'em coming. Kisses, us
28th January 2010

As a Johnny-come-lately to your blog, I can only say.... WOW!" It exhausts me just to THINK about all the adventures you two have had. Karen-- you have a gift for describing what you see and experience in a way that reeled me in. I had inte
nded to read just a few of the posts I'd missed, but ended up spending the last hour and a half reading every word and looking at all your gorgeous photos.Can't wait for your next post.Mitch
28th January 2010

I have to agree with Mitch who posted his comment.....I spent an hour reading all your tales as well, and the pictures are great!!!
29th January 2010

Mitch, you silver-tongued devil, you. Thanks much for the kind words. Its great that youre enjoying them and sorry I can{t figure out this keyboard!!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb