You Think It's Freaky?


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -34.8939, -56.1568

I think it's freaky, but Uruguayans do it all the time and don't appear to think twice.
Remember the post about the military dictatorship Andrea and her mother told us about? They spoke with such pain and passion, such immediacy, that we felt their anguish as we spoke with them.

Well, yesterday we stumbled upon the Carretas shopping mall they spoke of, but we didn't know it was that place until I saw the windows. That row of tiny windows where men groped the bars and peered out at freedom was creepy, but creepier still was actually walking through the gate and under the massive arch that marked the entry to the prison.

That's all they kept of the old prison--the wall with the windows and the entry gate.

I guess it's kind of an "up yours" for the people who lived through those years and I have great respect for a country that can do that, but even for me as an outsider, it was emotional.
'Course, Bob knows the history too and wasn't moved at all by it.

Oh well.

Advertisement



26th January 2010

That's because you are a woman and he is a man.....heartless..... ;)
27th January 2010

How do you say that in Spanish?

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb