Uruguay


Advertisement
Published: November 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bright and early we head back to the ferry terminal to start the journey to Montevideo in Uruguay. We settled ourselves in with lots of people looking at the Australian chickas, my favorite being a jolly man who offers lots of advice, told me of his love of Perth and that without any Spanish or Uruguayan Spanish we were stuffed!
A theme started to emerge when the large burly taxi driver said, " you speak Uruguayan?" no " you speak espanola ?" no " you in trouble".....it was fine however as I am an excellent mime.

The fresh seaside air was gorgeous, with people running, exercising and sunning themselves along the promenade that runs the length of the town. Our hotel is only a block back from the beach, and once the bathroom was recleaned and the last occupants fist full of hair removed from the vanity all was good.

The afternoon we spent wandering the old town, historic buildings everywhere and the graffiti was amazing - more street art than youths looking for some quick fun with spray painting. Only problem we had was that it was Sunday afternoon and nothing was open..... so we settled on a park bench with gelato and people watched, until a flock of small sparrows flew into my head and I shatter the peaceful park with screams. Rochelle no help as she was laughing too hard.

During the afternoon we noted: a roller skate park ( memories of my cool hang ten boot skates came flooding back) desert boots, that mullets are cool and Nike sports clothes rule, all accompanied by an 1985 sound track.

This is a place where the people are chilled, so so friendly and very willing to help and have a laugh with you. We did note at dinner the endless rapid fire conversations happening all around us in increasing volumes and a great sense of people truly enjoying being together.

We went to Uruguay because we could and yes it was a random decision but it did turn out well!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb